Starter Box Batteries

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Time to replace my batteries in my pitbox and I sure would like to lighten it up some without spending a ton.

I currently use 2/ Hobbico 12v batteries in parallel for 24v and they hold up pretty well for the price- normally 2/3 years,

but they suck to lug around with the pitbox/starter and a full fuel bottle. I have seen the dewalt pack type setups and they are nice, but Im not spending the coin for one of those right now. Any other options you guys may use ?

Andy

Ask for a Makita Drill set for Christmas and then all you need is the adaptor. :D

Tim

Time to replace my batteries in my pitbox and I sure would like to lighten it up some without spending a ton.

I currently use 2/ Hobbico 12v batteries in parallel for 24v and they hold up pretty well for the price- normally 2/3 years,

but they suck to lug around with the pitbox/starter and a full fuel bottle. I have seen the dewalt pack type setups and they are nice, but Im not spending the coin for one of those right now. Any other options you guys may use ?

Andy

Classic- too funny
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

If I wasn't ultimately paying for it in the long run , it would be a great idea
rolleyes.gif

Andy

Andy, maybe you might consider just a starter box only...im sure gettin rid of that gallon of fuel would help a bit....i still use good ol motorcycle batteries..still kinda heavy but cheap and definetly not as bad as it would be with a gallon of fuel attached to it! :)

Andy, maybe you might consider just a starter box only...im sure gettin rid of that gallon of fuel would help a bit....i still use good ol motorcycle batteries..still kinda heavy but cheap and definetly not as bad as it would be with a gallon of fuel attached to it! :)
Im so strapped for space in the truck now its a joke Bill, I could always take the bottle off at the lake , but lighter batteries would still be a plus
wink.gif

Andy I have bin looking for batt my self. The only way to go lite is LiPo. But thy are costly and you need the right charger and a safety so thy don't discharge and go Boom.

Imagine that a flair in the box with a full gallon of %55 for fuel. :huh:

The best bang for the buck is still the sealed acid batt.

check out this link.

http://www.power-son..._psg_series.php

David

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy
Stop WHINING you FAG !!! 12 V - 9 AH lead acid or AGM in series for 24 v with a powerpanel for glow , and a BACKUP 2 V- glow deal for emergencies (more for others with the useless typical lame glow starters that go dead ) :D :D

My starter box still uses 2 gell cells but is very compact. Will do 12 or 24 volts and small panel on front. Will post pictures tomarrow if you would like.

Andy, someone once upon a time posted a link about a starter that had a lithium battery from a cordless drill on it. I would like to due this. It maybe an option for ya.

If anyone has that info could you please post.

Thanks,TIM

Andy
get a lipo battery, a 3 cell 11.1v 4000mah will do the job...this is what i'm using, no problem starting a .21, .45, .67 OB/IB motor...also, it doesn't need a regular charging, it last long,,,,,hobbyking sell pretty cheap lipo.

if you want more cranking 6 cell lipo 22.2v but this is to much...but u have to invest a lipo charger..goodluck.

jul

Andy
Stop WHINING you FAG !!! :D :D
My Buddy. I would expect NO LESS
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Your carrying my pit Box from now on BIOTCH
ohmy.gif

Pretty nice setup Terry, how does the battery connect to the power panel ?

Andy

Andy
My Buddy. I would expect NO LESS
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ohmy.gif

Andy
Via that little red plug there :p

I use the same setup as you Andy Fuel jug and all, I just let my little green wagon do the toting of the box and boat for me :D

I could rent it to ya ;)

I'm a cheap sunovagun when possible so if oyu want some small cheap power, try Harbor Freight if you've got one nearby. You can buy a drill with the charger cheap and these things will last for years! I don't know if they still carry the 12-volt battery but I know that they do have an 18-volt package. Some guys adapt these right to the backside of a Sullivan starter but some spend the big bucks for the name brand which is the same as what HF sells for about half the cost! Yeah, no kidding. Compare a Black & Decker to the Chicago Tools drill.

Andy
Stop WHINING you FAG !!! 12 V - 9 AH lead acid or AGM in series for 24 v with a powerpanel for glow , and a BACKUP 2 V- glow deal for emergencies (more for others with the useless typical lame glow starters that go dead ) :D :D
Andy, THIS is what ive been dealin with FOR YEARS!! :lol: Im tellin ya man, this guy's a MENACE! :lol: :lol:

Andy
My Buddy. I would expect NO LESS :lol: :lol: :lol:

ohmy.gif

Andy
HA , thats why i have two , one for the Home pit and one for the

Sstarting line .it.stays down there all day under the start tables . The other stays at the home pit for duties back there ..no need to carry fuel jugs to the hot pits dude !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Makita adaptor on your starter is really neat but costs $150 or so with batteries and then you add battery weight to your starter. If you can live with a cord for under a buck you can put bayonet clips on your cord and use a 19.2V power tool battery. I use my Craftsman from my drill which I already had and bring to races anyway. Extra battery about $30 from Sears. One charge lasts all day running 6-8 boats. Light and compact for your box.

Mic

I went around about this last year, took a different path in the end. Got one of those adpaters to put a Makita 18V drill battery on a starter, and a glow driver (it has its own LiPO batter) so now I only need a small "tote" to fire up motors. I even went to a 3/4 gal. fuel jug to save more weight.

Latest posts

Back