Stainless screws?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talonxracer

I have been checking out Mcmaster-Carr and they have a nice selection of stainless screws, but the selection of types of stainless makes it a bit more difficult. If I wanted to replace the steel screws on a motor and use stainless what type of stainless should I use? Or does it not matter?

Doug

Hey Doug, Ya probably wanna watch out for using small stainless engine screws.

Sometimes some stainless is perdy soft but on most other stuff it should be fine

:)

Hey Doug, Ya probably wanna watch out for using small stainless engine screws.

Sometimes some stainless is perdy soft but on most other stuff it should be fine

:)

Doug,

Look for 316 s/s they have a better grade and have a higher rockwell number than 18-8. 18-8 is a general run of the mill s/s. 316 is more money thought.

chris

Chris is right. 316 is the ultimate in corrosion resistance. If you are replacing the hardware on the powerhead, good hardened steel (oem hardware) or 4130 is fine. Through general maintenance of cleaning and lubing your engine after running (which I'm sure you do ;) ) you'll be getting enough lube on the hardware to prevent rusting. The lower unit wich gets less attention is a good place to keep stainless harware.

chunk t

I was thinking mainly of the PTO/crankcase screws, sorta out of sight out of mind! Shouldn't be any problem there.

Doug

Jerry is right on the mark. Don't use stainless screws in that application the things are just too darn soft. What are you trying to accomplish by using stainless? If your motor screws are rusting you need to concentrate on taking better care of your equipment not replacing the screws. Look at your screws like a canary in a mine if they are rusting that is an indicator of much deeper problems.

No corrosion, just attempting to eliminate the sources. And if I do not ask then I wouldnt have the answer if someone asks me.

Doug

Latest posts

Back