Square Drive Collets

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty,

I ordered 4 from Marine specialties. They did not show a picture.I will email you when they get here. I have one for the 21 Road Runner I am building. The ones I ordered were for parts.

EC-SDA4-6 Square Drive Adapter, for 1/4"-28 thread X 3/16" square cable 4 $11.99

I will be curious to see what u think of it Marty

It is one of those things people swear it helps but if u look at saw boats most don't use it

If it was that good I would think it would be almost mandatory

I will be curious to see what u think of it Marty

It is one of those things people swear it helps but if u look at saw boats most don't use it

If it was that good I would think it would be almost mandatory
Chris:

I have been using the Square Drive for many years. I just had run out of collets and wanted another for my second engine. I guess I have given away my spares to friends???

I love square drive for my 20 boats and will continue to use that system in the future.

I will ask the same question,but I am looking for a square drive to convert a CMB .45 for and outboard.

so does anybody know who makes a 1/4-28 to .187 square drive cable this will all attach to a K&B lower.

Dumas Model used to supply them but no longer have the square drive just the round cable.

thanks Greg

Marty

Have you ever done back to back test to see if there is a mph difference ?
No

Also I have not done any tests for oilers vs grease. I still use Mercury lube rather than an oiler.

Would be interested in other findings on both if it is as you say "back to back" tests. I would be surprised if anyone has done such tests.

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest. on the oil vs grease.. even if there wasnt any difference.. i would NEVER EVER use grease again.. i will say my shafts look way way better with oil than grease ever did.. specially the stubs

Marty put me on to useing a square in my 20 boat 20 years ago and never look back.

I use good old castor in my oiler and been working great.

Chris,

The fastest SAW nitro boat in the world belongs to Mark Grim (133+mph) and yep its a square drive!
default_wink.png
Myself I have been over 122mph several times, square drive is the most friction free system there is for our model boats. Also no "S" bend! JMO

Don
default_smile.png

All of my SAW boats with the exception of the wire drive boats use square drives and single bends. The 143mph world record boat uses a square on the motor, 3/16" cable and a normal ferrule + stub shaft in the strut all at 50kRPM+ with 8hp.

TG

don

i have kicked it around but just never found the time to try it

what system are you using? who's collet?

Again guys, I can service .150 double square for 20 size boats as well as .187 for both 20 and 45 boats and I have some .250 stuff...my question is...why would you run .187 cable in a 20 boat? JMO...

Bob

Here is a pic...or two. Go to my gallery in "got wood" and there are a Few pics of it in my m&m's boat.

Thanks, Bob

image.jpg

Back