Sport Tunnels at the 2005 Internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always had problems with the "Sport Tunnel" class but it's not because of money. There are not $450 stock engines to buy so you can have the same stuff as the fast guys. I have not liked it because I have felt the engine rules were sneaky and the new guy will be unaware of what he can or can't do to a motor.

A new guy can buy an OS, remove a head shim and have a very competitive engine. But one would think with a name like Sport Tunnel and the way Stock is used interchangeably with Sport, that you would not be able to touch the engine. But then again, you don't get anywhere in this hobby without asking so perhaps the guys who are going to stick with it are going to stick with it and those who aren't will come up with an excuse.

No real point here just that money is not a deterring factor for sport tunnel. Experience is the difference and no money can buy that.

Charley

Some valid points guys. Thanks for the input.

And to Mikey Z...sorry for hijacking your thread. :unsure:

It's still cheaper than golf. :blink:

Prop... dude.. you nailed it..

You can try to reason as to the cost, the loss and the new guys thoughts about racing, but if they have a problem with losing they need to take up a new hobby. and or.. your racing career will be a VERY short one... Bottom line...

this might not sound good but after YEARS of racing all kinds of miniature motor sports its the facts man..

It always comes back to how are we going to get new people into the hobby.. its a hobby folks... they aint coming if they dont know its out there... this is more of a problem then trying to keep a new guy... first you need to have a new guy..

I think what Piper is saying.. tell me if im wrong.. your thinking we could do a better job of fostering a new racer..

Grim

CHowarth said:
I have always had problems with the "Sport Tunnel" class but it's not because of money.  There are not $450 stock engines to buy so you can have the same stuff as the fast guys.  I have not liked it because I have felt the engine rules were sneaky and the new guy will be unaware of what he can or can't do to a motor. 
A new guy can buy an OS, remove a head shim and have a very competitive engine.  But one would think with a name like Sport Tunnel and the way Stock is used interchangeably with Sport, that you would not be able to touch the engine.  But then again, you don't get anywhere in this hobby without asking so perhaps the guys who are going to stick with it are going to stick with it and those who aren't will come up with an excuse.

No real point here just that money is not a deterring factor for sport tunnel.  Experience is the difference and no money can buy that.

Charley

103219[/snapback]

Charley,

I noticed that you are a "Leecraft Factory Driver" what did you do with the Lynx you bought from us???

-Carl

Charley,

I noticed that you are a "Leecraft Factory Driver" what did you do with the Lynx you bought from us???

-Carl

It's really a joke.. I started signing "Leecraft" Factory Driver to be a wise a$$ to the D8 guys out here like Hughes and Bourlet who love their Lynxs. Not that they shouldn't but I run a wood boat Tommy built, thus the ""s around Leecraft. I sold the Lynx that I bought from Tim as I didn't need two 3.5 mod boats.

Did Mike Crawford(Woodstuff Racing) of WI get in touch with you? I know he was interested in getting a boat.

Charley

Last edited by a moderator:
Grimracer said:
Prop... dude.. you nailed it..
You can try to reason as to the cost, the loss and the new guys thoughts about racing, but if they have a problem with losing they need to take up a new hobby. and or.. your racing career will be a VERY short one... Bottom line...
Agreed, people are going to lose. If they're losing to someone with more experience they know they can learn. If they lose to someone spending big $, the odds are good that the ones who can't, or won't, spend big $ is going to quit.

this might not sound good but after YEARS of racing all kinds of miniature motor sports its the facts man..
It always comes back to how are we going to get new people into the hobby.. its a hobby folks... they aint coming if they dont know its out there... this is more of a problem then trying to keep a new guy... first you need to have a new guy..
You sure do. What's happening to all the people buying $200-300 RTR boats? They have to run them somewhere. I realize many just have them for fun, and are not interested in serious racing, but how many are being missed because their boats don't fit into the profile of what a local club runs?

I think what Piper is saying.. tell me if im wrong.. your thinking we could do a better job of fostering a new racer..
Yes, that's a big part of what I'm saying. Case in point, sport tunnel. How many of the clubs that are worried about low membership actually have an active group running this class, or some other good entry level class? I suspect the answer is few. Most likely if they have tunnels, they are running modified on them. This is where my comment about beginners having to compete against $450 engines comes from.

CHowarth said:
Charley,

-Carl

It's really a joke.. I started signing "Leecraft" Factory Driver to be a wise a$$ to the D8 guys out here like Hughes and Bourlet who love their Lynxs. Not that they shouldn't but I run a wood boat Tommy built, thus the ""s around Leecraft.    I sold the Lynx that I bought from Tim as I didn't need two 3.5 mod boats.

Did Mike Crawford(Woodstuff Racing) of WI get in touch with you?  I know he was interested in getting a boat.

Charley

103273[/snapback]

Yes,

Mr "WoodStuff" did contact me but he was not willing to wait for a boat so I guess he will be running his WOF boats again this year.

Your Lynx buyer you mentioned...who bought that boat from you?

-Carl

Let's see Charley, you had a Lynx and now you don't,, getting a O.S.,,But you gonna need a Lynx back in there aint'cha,,to keep up with,,You Know Who??????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope.. No OS and no Lynx. No Saturday classes and am looking forward to running at Duval.. You gonna make it out?

CHowarth said:
Nope.. No OS and no Lynx.  No Saturday classes and am looking forward to running at Duval.. You gonna make it out?
103381[/snapback]

Not In A Million Years :)

2005 Sport Tunnel Update.

I will be sending out info packets as soon as i can.. New Go-NO-Go gauges have been built and are signed off by the builder.

The response has been good but not great as far as getting everybodys names as to whom is running sport tunnel.. (not unexpected.. its OK) and we are moving to plan B.

There is a good chance that i might miss somebody and apologies now for this possible future shortcoming.

If you have not raced in a IMPBA Sport tunnel race in the past then you are in for a real treat. Welcome. If you have raced sport tunnels with us in the past.. Thank you for your continued inertest.

Grim

Back