Sport 40 setup tips

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

How about some input on setting up a sport 40. No particular brand of hull. Strut depth.prop. rudder placement. Bow up ,down or neutral? Anything to help guys setup.

Setup can be brand specific,strive for cg just behind the sponson transoms. Propellers play a huge part in strut adjustments.

Well yea there is basic and the best setup which comes from testing.

Set strut about 1/8th deeper than sponson depth, maybe a bit of angle like 1/16 higher at front of strut. Rudder about 4 inches below hull. Left side about 2/12 from center, could be on right side also. Turn fin out to the edge of the right sponson, be sure turn fin is set striaght and parallel to the ride pad, not tweaked out at the rear. Balance point within an inch of the sponson pad.

ok , plz help me here , u said the strut depth about 1/8 under sponson, is it the bottom of strut, or the center of the strut shaft?

an when you say rudder about 4 " below hull. is that about 1" to 1.25" below the lowest point of prop?

ok , plz help me here , u said the strut depth about 1/8 under sponson, is it the bottom of strut, or the center of the strut shaft? Yes the bottom of the strut about 1/8th deeper than the sponson depth.

an when you say rudder about 4 " below hull. is that about 1" to 1.25" below the lowest point of prop? 4 inch below the hull usually deep enough. I dont know how deep your prop is??

Like Phil said. But you measure the sponson depth at the rear points where it's going to be riding use that measurement at the strut with the added xtra bit that Phil has told you and that's it. The rudder you can go this way and say the dia of the prop + half again below the diameter of prop on shaft . Does that make sense to you ? Lateron trim the rudder as you desire

Wayne. the reason y I asked , is because that I have got 3 different answers from 3 rc boat designers. I'm taking all info and will see what works.

also I am not some new guy to rc. thanks.

I would say, talk to the boat builder and use his setup advice. That's what I'm doing on my Gp400 nitro.

On a glass hull, asking for a set up from the manufacturer would normally work. On a wood boat, especially one that's been modified or built from plans, that may or may not work due to variations in balance, materials used and part shapes.

watch out what that phil guy says he has more birthdays then any one I know
default_ohmy.png

hi guys , got my sport 20 ML gp310 , out running today , an with help from Mike Larson an Marty Slater I'm making some good head way,

started with a 442 prop, got her trimmed some what , so now goin to a 445 prop . because motor ESC an batts r luke warm,

Back