Sponson attack angle

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Homer

Have this incredible bit of inspiration (3.5 tunnel) that I'm just itching to get onto the drafting board... Thinking things out and making some rough sketches, the design lay out would largely depend on the sponson attack angle. It appears to me most tunnels run between 2.5 - 3 degrees at optimum plane. 15 degree dihedral. I know the rigger guys fret over 10ths of a degree, and I don't think I need to be THAT picky.... would just like a good baseline to get ideas on paper.. Am I close? Suggestions?? I'm open.....lol.....

I've always felt a good place to start is with proven "numbers" for design concepts. Doing "the same old thing" will probably not lead to any break through ideas, but there's nothing wrong with having a model that works well.

Your starting points are solild.

Over the years, I've incorporated ideas from other model tunnel boats and full size tunnel boats. Thank you Tommy Lee, Rod Geraghty, Mike Zaborowski, Bill Seabold, and the list could go on.

JD

Thanks, Jerry... The whole concept is really starting to take shape in my mind...Made some other rough sketches... borrowing from your designs in fact...lol and things are really starting to click.. The "proof of concept" model is gonna look a bit odd, but everyone knows the state of the art can only be improved on if one questions convention.... I may have a world beater, I may wind up with a piece of junk.. Only one way to find out, huh??

Back