Speedmaster Strut Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

I bought a speedmaster 3/16 strut to put into my sport 40 hull. The question I have is how do I keep the bushing from sliding through the strut and into the stuffing tube? The stuffing tube is a octura 3/16 kit but the tube is the same size as the end of the strut. Is there a different size tube that I need or another piece that keeps the bushing from sliding out?

The speedmaster strut has a small counterbore that the bushing stops in. The speedmaster bushing has a step in it that catches in this counterbore. You can make a bushing like the speedmaster but it's much easier to buy one for $5.

Im sure someone here will tell you exactly how to make a bushing like the speedmaster.

The problem is that I have the speedmaster bushing and it slides through the strut opening. I am thinking that the strut was miss drilled, because there is no counter bore that I can see.

Yeah, I would say you have a problem. Does the bushing have the "step" at one end? If it does and it still goes through, the strut is drilled way to big.

sport hydro said:
The problem is that I have the speedmaster bushing and it slides through the strut opening. I am thinking that the strut was miss drilled, because there is no counter bore that I can see.
82773[/snapback]

sport hydro said:
I bought a speedmaster 3/16 strut to put into my sport 40 hull. The question I have is how do I keep the bushing from sliding through the strut and into the stuffing tube? The stuffing tube is a octura 3/16 kit but the tube is the same size as the end of the strut. Is there a different size tube that I need or another piece that keeps the bushing from sliding out?
82756[/snapback]

It is my understanding as well as experience, that the stuffing tube goes into the strut. If 3/16 is the size of the hole in the strut I think it is too small. The .21 hydro hardware I have, the strut bore is 1/4".

Adam

Watercadet said:
sport hydro said:
82756[/snapback]

It is my understanding as well as experience, that the stuffing tube goes into the strut. If 3/16 is the size of the hole in the strut I think it is too small. The .21 hydro hardware I have, the strut bore is 1/4".

Adam

82784[/snapback]

Your stuffing tube should run right through the strut and end flush at the back of the strut. Your 3/16 bushing should fit inside the stuff tube, the stop ring on the bushing will not go through the stuff tube.

Like Tony said. The stuffing tube is one size bigger of K&S brass than the strut bushing. It runs all the way though the strut.

Mike

:) Thanks for the help. I never used a speedmaster before and your answers are correct. I talked to the sales rep at speedmaster and he confermed it. The reason I was confused is that I have the wrong size stuffing tube. It is a 9/32 o.d. and does not fit into the strut opening. This is what threw me off.

sport hydro said:
:) Thanks for the help. I never used a speedmaster before and your answers are correct. I talked to the sales rep at speedmaster and he confermed it. The reason I was confused is that I have the wrong size stuffing tube. It is a 9/32 o.d. and does not fit into the strut opening. This is what threw me off.
82949[/snapback]

Yeah, Well you shudda' been here a month ago :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You bought the stuffing tube with the teflon liner. This will work also. You will have to reduce it to fit the strut. I have done this on one of my monos. The step down keeps the teflon from sliding into the strut area. I leave it out about an 1/4" so you can grab it and pull it out for replacing. I like the teflon cause I can get away from running a grease that usually thickens up in the cold weather. I run a light oil mixture. 50/50 Castrol and 30 weight.

Mike

Hi Don, I'm gunna Hurt ya just a little more. Instead of starting a New Post or

bringing that "Older Nightmare" back from past pages,,I'll ask it here.

I finally got to the point where I have cut the "strut and strut mount" in,,it goes

thru the "bottom" of the boat. I'm working on the "stuffin' tube thats bonded

to the boat and next is installing the 5/16 thru the stuffin' tube and then heat up

the strut and shove the 5/16 to the back of the strut. Question: Am I going to be able to get the top end of the strut up thru the bottom of the boat and thru the

mount and get it back out again for painting?? :huh:

Jerry Wyss said:
Hi Don, I'm gunna Hurt ya just a little more. Instead of starting a New Post orbringing that "Older Nightmare" back from past pages,,I'll ask it here.

I finally got to the point where I have cut the "strut and strut mount" in,,it goes

thru the "bottom" of the boat. I'm working on the "stuffin' tube thats bonded

to the boat and next is installing the 5/16 thru the stuffin' tube and then heat up

the strut and shove the 5/16 to the back of the strut. Question: Am I going to be able to get the top end of the strut up thru the bottom of the boat and thru the

mount and get it back out again for painting?? :huh:

85351[/snapback]

Yup, ya just got to be careful. I will mount the strut thru the hull FIRST, then remove the strut blade, heat & install the tube, then into the hull bending it to fit as I go. Just take your time & be patient. :)

Will Do Boss, Thanks Mucho Grande! :p

Were You At The NAMBA NATS a few years ago?? At Springfield Oregon??

Jerry Wyss said:

85356[/snapback]

Nope, never been across the Mississippi....................yet. B)

Don Ferrette said:
Jerry Wyss said:

85356[/snapback]

85358[/snapback]

If that should happen I would suggest calling all of the local authorities including the National Guard, State Police, Coast Guard, and Salvation Army... LOL

Tony Jacuzzi said:
Don Ferrette said:
Jerry Wyss said:

85356[/snapback]

85358[/snapback]

If that should happen I would suggest calling all of the local authorities including the National Guard, State Police, Coast Guard, and Salvation Army... LOL

85390[/snapback]

HEHEHEHE!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :p

Back