Some servos questions from another new guy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank

Just bought a used 48" ABS plastic tunnel with a .67 K&B outboard. It has a new radio in it, but the steering servo makes a small ratcheting sound. There's no steering movement, but the little clicking sound is constant. It is a JR NES-4721 coreless servo.

Sounds like it's time for a new servo, huh? This thing is not going in the water until all bugs & Murphy's are worked out.

Hank,

Sounds like you have a stripped gearset in the servo to me - very common with rudder servo's on outboards.

I would suggest you get a large servo with metal gears - something like a 1/4 scale servo if you have enough room in the radio box for it. It might be a bit overkill but it won't strip gears in future!

Hope this helps,

Tim.

The JR servo should have enough torque. The 4721 is a very powerfull servo. If I remember corectly it has 120 Oz/inces of torque.

A quarter scale servo will have even more. Probably in the 200+ Oz/inch range.

You probably need a new gear set for it like Tim said.

You should be able to get one of these at just about any hobby store that sells JR products.

I can get you a set if you can not find one locally.

Back