Small scale hydro construction question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Colean

Hi, I am building 2 very small hydros; 1/43 and 1/25 scale. Does anybody out there have any ideas for building late Budweiser style exhaust pipes? I want very true looking pipes with polygonal angles. I have tried scoring pop can aluminum, and that works okay, but it is hard to get it round. It also breaks easily. (on a thicker piece, it would work well for 1/8th scale) Any ideas?

What about making a wood "plug", like what is used for making a mold and forming the aluminum around it? You could then solder the pipe together as needed before taking it off the plug

do you think wood would hold sharp enough edges? My best attempt so far was to make a half pipe from scored aluminum, back fill that with resin, and use that as a vacuum mold to make 2 plastic halves. That was okay, but I had a hard time keeping it round. and consistency in scoring pressure became an issue in the definition of the polygonal edges. Your on the right track though. I just need to figure out how to make a really good plug. In that scale, detail work becomes extremely tedious.

we are talking hydros of 7 and 15 inches in length

Last edited by a moderator:
do you think wood would hold sharp enough edges? My best attempt so far was to make a half pipe from scored aluminum, back fill that with resin, and use that as a vacuum mold to make 2 plastic halves. That was okay, but I had a hard time keeping it round. and consistency in scoring pressure became an issue in the definition of the polygonal edges. Your on the right track though. I just need to figure out how to make a really good plug. In that scale, detail work becomes extremely tedious.

we are talking hydros of 7 and 15 inches in length
Have you thought about the vaccum route? Several people on here do have the knowledge to help you, maybe Terry Keeley??

Walt Barney

Back