Silly Questions..

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Stone

I am looking at building a Micro Mogli, it calls for a 380 motor and a speed control..

What speed control should I buy? What motor would be a good choice?

I have a MTO round nose hull that I am eventually going to make into an electric hull, and wouldn't mind getting a speed control that I could use in both boats.

I don't know too much about the electric side of boats. I raced Electric Cars competitively for years before getting into Nitro Boats back in 1990.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appeciated..

I have a 480 cordite with 30 amp plane ESC turning a 30mm prop in the bath. No overheating. Have not had a chance to test it in open water yet as i am waiting on my mirco servo to come back from warrenty.

6cells used in test

Jay

Small motors have poor efficiency something like a feigao in the high 60's (improving as you get 7 cells and above) and something like a Neu or Hacker in the mid 80's - so you get a lot more power and an easier ride for the esc.

If you want a water proof esc the Hacker 40amps altho bulky are the ones to get especially if yoiu paln swapping between boats

If you can keep a plane esc dry they work well - castle jeti kontronik and schulze work with stick and wheel radios

for 7 cells and 30mm prop

for something like a GP2200 or a 2ah 20C lipo

Neu 1105/2.5y

Neu 1110/1y

Mega 15/16/2

Hacker B20-12L

hacker B40-11s

for longer runtime drop to kv of 3500 + altho the same size motor

Jay,

You need to decide if you want to run brushed or brushless. Andrew is giving you examples of brushless. How big is that MTO hull? It sounds like two totally different classes. The 380 is a small motor, smaller than the typical car motor. The MTO might take a 700 series if you decide to go brushed.

Thanks for all the info guys..

Well let me rephrase the question.. The MTO is a Sport 20 hull. I am more concerned about finding a setup for the mogli right now.. What engine choice should I go with in the Mogli? I think it does call for a 380?

540 is the standard size of most 10th scale cars, correct?

I am not so worried about price, but more worried about something that will be hasslefree and well worth the money spent. Don't get me wrong, I don't have to buy the baddest of the baddest - but something abover average or better would be nice.

I also think I'll run the NIMH 3300 or so cells, probably the max recommended 9 cell for the mogli.. Any suggestions here?

Thanks again,

Jay

Jay,

You need to decide if you want to run brushed or brushless. Andrew is giving you examples of brushless. How big is that MTO hull? It sounds like two totally different classes. The 380 is a small motor, smaller than the typical car motor. The MTO might take a 700 series if you decide to go brushed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay

in a small hull smaller cells are good - it is a better balance between lift and mass - also keep in mind cells like the GP 2200 is a better cell than the 2400 for the sort of amps you will use at 2/3 the weight.

HI Jay,

We have a few guys here running the micro mowgli. The stock setup is a feigao brushless and quark 80A esc with GP2200 cells. This boat is tricky to get runing correctly and seems to like the GP cells as it balances perfectly with them. We tried sub-C cells and Lipo cells, but the GP2200's worked best, and balanced the boat well. The balance is important as it lets you run the boat upside down [no kidding] and flip it back over, as well as getting it to plane correctly.

The motor recommended as a combo option with the kit is the best to use, i think.

And check out some more infor and pics of crazy speed and jumping [yes jumping] here

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=16282

The third pic shows it about 6 feet in the air from a jump YEEEHAAAA

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back