Silent Engines (Mr. Doug Twaits Sr. ) Passed Away Last Night

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Real Grim

Supporting Member
It is with deep sorrow and heavy heart that I write this today.
Doug Twaits Sr. passed away last night of natural causes. Please pay your respects to the Twaits family in this very hard time. Mr. Doug Twaits Sr. was loved by all and will be greatly missed by all.

Douglas Twaits, Sr.
Inducted: HALL of FAME 1986
Doug first ran small outboards in the early 1950's, and ran his first R/C sport boat in 1976. He served several terms as District One Director, and served as NAMBA President from 1991 to 1993. Doug has promoted NAMBA with booths at trade shows over the years, and served as Contest Director for the 1984 Nationals held in New Jersey. Doug has held many district records and class championships, and has been instrumental in getting electric racing going in District One and in NAMBA.

Having lived in NJ for about 8 years I spent nearly every weekend at the pond with Doug and got to know both Doug Sr. and Jr on a personal level, and I think we all consider ourselves close friends. Doug Twaits senior was by far the best ambassador of the hobby I have ever met. He was enthusiastic about all aspects of the hobby, helpful to beginners and especially welcoming to new people that showed at the pond with an interest in the hobby.
More recently due to his health problems he was not able to run boats but many of us (myself included) would pick him up and take him to the pond where he could hear the boats run and be around the guys on practice days. He never complained and carried his usual enthusiasm despite his difficulties. I last spoke with him while I was at the Gas Nats in Evansville. Doug was of course enthusiastic and wished he could have been there. He demonstrated a very good lesson for us all that as life passes and things are no longer given to us but slowly taken away; Rejoice in what we do have not lament about what is lost.
Doug did this to end.

He will be missed.
Ken Beller

Last edited:
Doug Twaits Sr. served the model boating community many years as a District Director and as NAMBA President. He was a real competitor and always raced to win. My condolences to his family.

Back