Showdown at the OK corral

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the fastest tunnell hull?

• Dumas Sprint

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dunlap WOF

• Villain

• HTB

• Maus

• Other

• Total voters
You know I just have to say.... They way everyone gets along on the forum is just wonderfull! I have seen so many other forums where people get ruffeled feathers and just start flying off the handle! This post had the potential to go south but never did. The boaters on this forum are really top notch! You guys are the greatest!

:)

As a PS, my first tunnel hull was a Hopper. It was a great boat, but I had to sell it. It wouldn't look good for a Leecraft guy to run a Hopper. Jerry Dunlap even lets me touch his boats, and I might let him run an XTR-21. I currently run a Villian as a stock tunnel. Don't tell anyone.

Lohring Miller

"The Best Boat?" poll was interesting. I would imagine I've designed, built, reviewed, or raced most of the popular tunnel boats since the K&B 3.5 was released in 1976. I know, Grim, you were 10 years old then.

I think a valid indicator of "The Best Boat" would be to look at the results of various outboard races for the past five or six years. If I had nothing better to do, I'd check my back issues of RC Boat Modeler for those results. But, I have to vacuum the house before my wife gets home from work. So, I do have something better to do.

However, since I've written several national event coverages - here's my take on "Best Boat." In 7.5 class the LeeCraft has certainly won many events. The LeeCraft has also won many 3.5 events. HTB boats have also managed to snare numerous national wins.

The best boat in my opinion? Why that's a no brainer. Anything made using WOF contruction, designed by JD, and built at 119 Crestwood Dr. S.W., Lakewood, WA. Of course, I suppose I'm a bit prejudiced.

Happy New Year Everyone,

Jerry D.

Jerry

Your right as a new boat mfg. when a boat stands the test of time it is a great boat. With any luck at all i hope that the Villian S1 is there some day. As far as the designer, im reaching the test of time point in my life and im thinking that no news is good news.

I was not! I was 14 ... ;D

Grim

I have to go with Jerry on this one. It looks like we have the corner on votes for the WOF. Anyway, here is my 2cents. I've built 3 of these boats, and have a 4th under construction and each one is a little different. Two are for modified engines,each having different tunnel depth for different water and wind conditions. The other has been shortened so I can compete in the sport Tunnel class. This is the beauty of a 'scratch-built" boat. They are easy to modify,cheap and fun to build,easy to repair and very competitive. But best of all you get the satisfaction of knowing that screaming bullitt on the pond is something that you built with your own hands. Maybe Jerry will consider a Canadian dealership -Don

Well, as a relative newcomer to the hobby, three years, after 45 years of flying RC planes, I have to say that I have won two first place nationals in NAMBA in the 3.5 Stock class. The first, in 2001, was with a Dunlap 27 and the second, in 2002, was with a LeeCraft XTR21. In 2002 I also won a NAMBA Nationals 3rd place in A Mod with a Dunlap and a 3rd in C Mod with a LeeCraft 460. So I guess at this point I would say I favor Dunlap and LeeCraft boats. However, I have just built a Villain from Michael's kit and I have to say that in 45 years of building kits, mostly planes, it is the most precise and accurate kit I have ever worked with. It just fell together. Enough said.

Ray

Thanks for the kind words. The bottom line is that making the kit the best kit we could was top priority. Making the kit make money is important also (needs to be to keep the thing going) but it was the passion for the kit, model boating, and builder/racer experience that was the main focus.

Im not a goof when it comes to saying that the kit needs to make money and that this is not my main focus, heck some folks might not believe me (thats OK) the real just is Quality, Fun and a good builder experience.

When you say you had a good experience building, racing, or just running your VillainS1....you have us thinking that kit building is not dead and that we did the right thing.. Did you know that i was told (by a very respected boater) that a kit boat was a dumb idea and that wasting my time as nobody wants to build kit boats anymore...glad i did not listen.. lol

I have lots of respect for glass boats, heck my first Internats win was with one.(XTR-21) . But im a builder and bearing down and shaping that piece of wood is way fun for me.. My wood stack is nicknamed the Holy Grail and each peace of wood has its own personality.

Did I mention that im a little weird sometimes..better go the little voices are telling me its time to work "dam voices".......... ;D

Grim

Latest posts

Back