Shipping Lipos with the USA or taking on plane

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Who has shipped lipos within the USA? It is OK to do so?

What about taking them on a plane with you in 'checked baggage' under the plane?

I need to get my lipos (four, 4S 5800mah packs) from Florida to LA in 2 weeks time from one race to the next...on plane with me would be best, bust need to know if anyone has done it before recently?

In the locked hobby toolbox underneath,,and separated out inside,,you might get away with it. Alot of heat and energy in one spot,,and they look like packs of C4 with wires sticking out on the scanner.

Hi Kris

There a special rules for the transport of lithium batteries on aircraft all lithium batteries have to be in carry on luggage they cannot be checked the information can be found on the carriers site and on US transit authority I went through this for our last trip. if you have any question's don't hesitate to ask .

Kris,

Carry-on luggage only.

Then they usually ask you to take them out of that before you put them in storage

above in the overhead compartment.

Enjoy The Trip,

Mark Sholund

Yeah as stated above you have to carry them on and they have to be below a certain watt-hour limit. And I believe it's only 2 batteries maximum.

Don't try to hide them!

Thank you gentleman.

Got this back from Qantas

[SIZE=10pt]"Hi Kris,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]All spare batteries must be taken as carry-on baggage and be individually packed to prevent short circuiting.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]If the batteries are inside a device, the item can travel as checked baggage provided it is securely packed and protected from accidental activation.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]For Lithium Batteries:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The maximum battery size for portable electronic devices is 160Wh. If a battery is over 100Wh it requires a letter of operator approval which can be requested from this department. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Note:[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] Watt hours are determined by multiplying the voltage by the amp hours (Wh = V x Ah).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]From the details your have provided, I can confirm the device can travel as it contains 83.52Wh battery. No approval is required from this department, however you are welcome to use this email as verification for staff."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]I just need them to confirm that I can take 4-5 lipos at 85wh each...waiting on that reply[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back