Shipping Dumas kits

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I am thinking of selling some of my old Dumas kits that i have collected over the years. I have never shipped anything like this. Will the original kit box survive the trip? If not, where can I buy a bigger carton box to house the kit?
Thanks,
k

Go to your local shipping and packaging supply and buy whats called Trim Sheets . They are like 3.00 a piece , 4 X 8 sheets . I use them all the time .Just lay the kit box on the sheet and use a sharpie and straight edge to mark out the size needed to wrap it around the box . Lightly score the sheet on the inside with a razor knife to help it fold easier .
What kits do you have ?

Is trim sheet the same as corrugated card board sheet?
I have two .40 Drag'n Fli kits. Two .20 size Pay n Pak kit, and one .20 size Drag'n Fli. Is USPS more cost effective than UPS? Just trying to figure out shipping cost

Thanks,
k

I have two .40 Drag'n Fli kits. Two .20 size Pay n Pak kit, and one .20 size Drag'n Fli. Is USPS more cost effective than UPS? Just trying to figure out shipping cost

Thanks,
k
Kez, USPS has always been much cheaper for the stuff I’ve shipped.

GQ

Thanks,
k
Yes , trim sheets are the same as corrugated cardboard . How much for the .40 size DragnFly ?

I go the Menards and buy a roll of Rosin paper and wrap the box like a gift to ship them.

grim

I don't ship UPS... never have.. guess that's why I have never had any issues..

Grim , I've shipped of things UPS , you just have to make it basically indestructible . Our Aluminum electronics boxes that weight 20 lbs are first bubble wrapped in 7 layers of the smaller bubble , then double cardboard corners on each corner then 2 - 4X 8 sheets of trim sheet and about 3/4 roll of tape . Only one damaged in 25 years of shipping UPS and the customer saw the clown kick it out of the truck lol !

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will visit the local U-Haul and UPS stores and see if they have the trim sheet or Rosin paper. Many years ago a mail order package (not hobby items) arrived with just the wrapping paper but without the box or content. I remember that experience very well and I will make sure to put the return address on the box.
Tom and Mark, thank you for your interest in the kits. I will let you know once I have set up a Paypal account. I have never sold anything on IW

kez

Home Depot sells all different size moving boxes that work very good for shipping.

Chris Herzog just shipped me a boat I bought from him and his packaging was first class.
He removed all of the hardware and bagged it up and put in inside the hull..

He used a long box from home depot and wrapped the boat in lots of bubble wrap.
It arrived without a scratch on it !

Aaah....the good 'ol drag n fly 40....my first boat kit in 1977 or so......i called Dumas several times asking to cut me another....with a big and quick NO...i would bet it would sell.. and with electric power may do much better....so how much are you asking for yours....your starting a line..

Thanks,
k
I would like one dragonfly 40 please and if it's gone I'll take the 20. Please contact me at [email protected]

My experience is that USPS is a bit cheaper but UPS is much faster and safer. Us and Canadian mail systems are messed up with covid.

I would like one dragonfly 40 please and if it's gone I'll take the 20. Please contact me at [email protected]

My experience is that USPS is a bit cheaper but UPS is much faster and safer. Us and Canadian mail systems are messed up with covid.
Protective Cushioning :: Trim Sheets :: 48" x 96" DW Trim Sheets / Cardboard Sheets
just an example , simple google search " cardboard sheets" yielded this . I deal with Associated Paper . not sure if they have a branch near you .

Dean has used Greyhound more than once. he got a 1/6 scale from Jeff Snell? the name may be a little off but the boat was on time and in good shape for less than 100.00

Back