Shipping big boats.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale P

Yesterday I offered to give away a large RC boat hull for FREE as long as the person paid the shipping costs which were fully explained in the ad. For some reason some of you guys thought I was trying to cheat someone and rip them off on the shipping charges. I was only asking for what it cost me to pack the hull and ship it out. NOTHING MORE! I have receipts right here with the totals.

I was already GIVING away a NEW hull that I paid $225.00 for but for some reason you guys think I should give away more of my money and pack it for free too? I thought I was already doing something nice by giving the hull away instead of just throwing it out, but I guess that's not good enough.

I shipped it out to the new owner today and it cost me $66.74 to ship using parcel post which is the cheapest way to go on a box of this size. Add that to the $49.64 I had to pay for boxes, bubble wrap and tape and the total is $116.38 I was asking for $115.00 to ship the hull in my ad which is even less than what it cost, not to mention my time to pack it up and run to the post office, plus I was asking NOTHING for the hull it's self!

I got a bunch of nasty private messages over this as well as some flack in my post and don't understand why. How was I trying to screw any one here?

Here are some picts to show how large of a hull this was and why it cost so much to ship.

Thanks for ruining this. I was trying to do something nice.

Dale P.

DSC02616.JPG

DSC02617.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Dale don't let a few individuals speak for the over 4,100 registered members here on I/W. I thought what you did was cool and I actually found myself wondering what I could do with it around here. Don't let a few comments get under your skin as it's no different here, JR/CBD, RCU or anywhere else for that matter. It is what it is and I'm sure the person who is getting that hull appreciates what you did. Have a cold one (or two or three) and relax, you did a good thing. :)

Dude im suprised it was that cheap to ship through the post office. Last time i tried shipping a boat out through USPS (a Stryker hydro) they wanted to charge me $89 before getting insurance and that was for standard parcel, in a box quite smaller.

That's a BIG 10-4 on the nice gesture for sure.

Dan.

Yesterday I offered to give away a large RC boat hull for FREE as long as the person paid the shipping costs which were fully explained in the ad. For some reason some of you guys thought I was trying to cheat someone and rip them off on the shipping charges. I was only asking for what it cost me to pack the hull and ship it out. NOTHING MORE! I have receipts right here with the totals.
I was already GIVING away a NEW hull that I paid $225.00 for but for some reason you guys think I should give away more of my money and pack it for free too? I thought I was already doing something nice by giving the hull away instead of just throwing it out, but I guess that's not good enough.

I shipped it out to the new owner today and it cost me $66.74 to ship using parcel post which is the cheapest way to go on a box of this size. Add that to the $49.64 I had to pay for boxes, bubble wrap and tape and the total is $116.38 I was asking for $115.00 to ship the hull in my ad which is even less than what it cost, not to mention my time to pack it up and run to the post office, plus I was asking NOTHING for the hull it's self!

I got a bunch of nasty private messages over this as well as some flack in my post and don't understand why. How was I trying to screw any one here?

Here are some picts to show how large of a hull this was and why it cost so much to ship.

Dale P.
I recently listed a few hulls on ebay and the UPS shipping calculator said $160.00 (not including packing). Becuase of that the bids on my hull, which I think was almost priceless, were very limited. I found Fedex to be the cheapest. No worries on the flack. Some people just don't have any business being in the hobby. This is an expensive hobby regardless of where you buy your boats from. I never even saw the listing, but I'm sure your boat found a very happy new owner.

Thanks for the comments! Wish they were here yesterday while my post was getting bombed with garbage. (The post is deleted)

This is the fifth time I have given something away on the internet for free. In the past I even paid for shipping, but I couldn't this time due to the cost.

Don't know if I will do it again.

Thanks again for the comments.

Dale P.

Just had an almost nightmare with USPS....thought i said bye bye to almost 600.00 and a VERY nice boat, motor, and hardware...fortunatly there was a happy ending, and i learned a coupla lessons next time, one being insure, insure, insure!! Lost some sleep over this one....live and learn!

Thanks for the comments! Wish they were here yesterday while my post was getting bombed with garbage. (The post is deleted)
This is the fifth time I have given something away on the internet for free. In the past I even paid for shipping, but I couldn't this time due to the cost.

Don't know if I will do it again.

Thanks again for the comments.

Dale P.

Dale, (I never saw the other thread and don't know who commented-but)

You did a STAND UP THING B) B)

AND-

Your shipping cost's -where near out of line for shipping that box. (you need a pickup BTW)

I know, shipping my wife's massage table back from Indiana just cost us $240.00 so she can go back to doing her REAL job, LMT- and stop working at the 7-11 on the shzt shift !!!! **** near a weeks pay for her to get her table back here. :huh:

For anyone that has packed a boat to be shipped (properly)

there's is a LOT more involved than just the cost from A to B !!!!

A (good) double walled golf bag box is 15-20 bucks.

+ Bubble wrap

+ newspapers or peanuts(preferred)

+ tape -god forbid your out

It adds up - period.....

Don't feel bad about it , your on the right side of this one for sure....

BTW - PM me when you have another free boat-

I won't cry about shipping , and you can avoid all this ;)

Andy

I was able to save some cash and didn't need any peanuts this time. We bought a new couch and love seat last month and didn't like the throw pillows that came with it. I cut them open for the fiber fill and stuffed it all around the boat after it was wrapped with bubble wrap. Worked really well and was free. Well almost free, I paid for the pillows when I bought the couch. :D

Dale P.

DSC02603.JPG

It seems several forums I'm on has a big problem with haters. Don't let idiots push your buttons, I'd just delete the messages and go about my business. Giving away a hull is pretty freakin' nice of someone and I know from personal experience shipping boats is really expensive. Just wanted to say f*** the people that gave you flack, don't let a few bad ones spoil the whole thing for you. Nice job on being a stand up guy.

yup, shipping a large boat is costly,i have shipped out a large boat, at one time, through ups it was over $70.00!, lets say i lost on that deal,but i got rid of the boat!,it's strange how businesses get a better deal on shipping,than the general public! so if your selling a large boat or any large,item, remember to CYA on the shipping charges!

HAVE FUN

norm j

fmbc

glmbc

the pics are funny as hell.

Dale P.

Hi Dale do not let the hand full of people on here that make comments about things they eather do not know anything about or speak or type 30 min before there brains kick in stop you from being on here or giving anything away or selling something if that is what you want to do. What you did was great. Have a good one Jimmy

I have shipped alot of large hulls and i hate it!Takes me a hour usually to pack it.No fun trying to find a good box and all the peanuts bubblewrap tape and what ever else it takes.Your a stand up guy on doing it plus you could use a larger vehicle to drive to the nearest shipper!~lol

ill gladly take some free boats for the price of shipping :lol: :rolleyes:

Dale

I ship items every day and I only charge what it costs to ship it. Your right on the money with what you did and I am sure the buyer appreciated it. To those that do not know what the charges are to ship large items, BLAHHHHH! , LOL They will never have a clue. Your a good guy so don't let a few discourage you.

Bob

ill gladly take some free boats for the price of shipping :lol: :rolleyes:
I sold a DPI tunnel to a guy in Italy. Shipping was going to be 700. i gave his money back...... And they were going to deliver it to a port and he would have to pick it up WOWZERS

I won't ship large hulls any more, I'd rather sell them at district races to save the hassle. The last half-way large one that I shipped was a Sport 40. I was stupid enough to take it to a UPS Store instead of driving right out to UPS, almost $50.00 to ship it. Fed Ex seemed to be cheaper. I returned a Styker 41 gas Cat and cost me just under $21.00, that was also a good-sized box.

I won't ship large hulls any more, I'd rather sell them at district races to save the hassle. The last half-way large one that I shipped was a Sport 40. I was stupid enough to take it to a UPS Store instead of driving right out to UPS, almost $50.00 to ship it. Fed Ex seemed to be cheaper. I returned a Styker 41 gas Cat and cost me just under $21.00, that was also a good-sized box.
I recently found a great website for reduced shipping costs, up to 30% off.

SHIPYOURRC.com

Dale P.
I know the feeling. A while back i tried to sell a couple of radios for less than the were worth. I was trying to clear some space and get rid of stuff I don't use anymore. I got bombed with a bunch of accusations that I was trying to sell stuff that was no good.

Really sucks when people make judgements against you when they don't know what they are talking about.

Bill

Latest posts

Back