shafts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

Being old school and out of boating for years, I would like to know if anyone is still using hard shafts or flex. I was using hard shafts with needle bearings. I'm thinking hard shaft with ball bearings. Any thoughts on the subject?

There are very few racers using the hard shafts anymore. Many riggers have a slight S bend in the stuffing tube to reduce whip and the hard shafts do not allow for any angles in the driveline.

"

I'm thinking hard shaft with ball bearings. Any thoughts on the subject?"

Spider,

As John said: "There are very few racers using the hard shafts anymore".

I have run both hard shaft in ball bearings and flex shafts over the years. I am in the process of setting up a Scale boat with a hard shaft running in ball bearings again- - I believe this is still a very viable option and worth the effort. Universal joints are still available from Octura, and the same 3/16th case hardened stainless shafts are available from Dumas. What class are you planning to get back into it with??? CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

" I'm thinking hard shaft with ball bearings. Any thoughts on the subject?"

Spider,

As John said: "There are very few racers using the hard shafts anymore".

I have run both hard shaft in ball bearings and flex shafts over the years. I am in the process of setting up a Scale boat with a hard shaft running in ball bearings again- - I believe this is still a very viable option and worth the effort. Universal joints are still available from Octura, and the same 3/16th case hardened stainless shafts are available from Dumas. What class are you planning to get back into it with??? CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson
Thanks for the replies. I'm starting on a .45 rigger. I have no current plans on comp. racing, just fun running. I don't think I have the reflexes to try and race. I'm also not real keen on joining a club due to club members attitudes toward what use to be called "lesser boaters" or people who just want to have fun and not get into big bucks racing. Sorry for the editorial., just how I feel.

Once again thanks for the help.

Ken

Ken, I am in kind of the same dilema. One thing different is that I have found a great bunch of guys here and none flame each other on what we run. Yes we have some good laughs, toss a few darts at each other but its all in good fun. I have one new RTR boat and the rest are older stuff that I enjoy tinkering with and I make due. I say run what you brung and have fun. My boats will not win as the fastest, but if I finish I am happy. I attended my first race to watch this year and I hate to tell ya how many non running boats at the sound of the horn, my thought is my old not so pretty boats will take a few points for just finishing, know what? I am a happy camper.

I will say though this is why I got out of certain disciplines of the competative shooting sports, too many stuffy shirts and if you want to see really deep pockets, parouse a good trap, skeet or sporting clays range and see some really high ticket toys. So now I shoot steel plates instead, mostly good old average guys like you and me.

Run what you brung,

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
you haven't lived till you blow out the bottom of a brand new boat,when the harmonics from the hard shaft go nuts. twice. once on the starting stand. never again!

"you haven't lived till you blow out the bottom of a brand new boat,when the harmonics from the hard shaft go nuts. twice. once on the starting stand. never again!"

Hey Steve,

Where's your sense of adventure ?? Har, Har !!! I ran hard shafts for a long while and never had that problem. I'd guess it was the number and spacing of the bearings between the front and rear ones that caused the harmonic. I'm having a heck of a time finding good 3/16" heat treated Armco 17-4PH Stainless in lengths longer than 24". Dumas shaft is 24" and was initially for a Drag n Fly 60. Now there was a wonderous hull - Har, Har !!!

I'm sure you have wrapped a flex cable up and torn the bottom out of the boat also.

My personal shaft 'Villan' is still turtles. They take everything on the bottom out - - shaft, rudder prop - - - the really devious ones somehow manage to get the turn fin also. Har, Har !!!

Run whatever your comfortable with - - It's all GOOD. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

Latest posts

Back