Setup tables for riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD

I am looking for and interested in set-up table info for riggers. Anyone got any info and / or pic's they are willing to share at all?

Thanks,

Tim.

Tim,

Start with a piece of solid surface countertop like Corian, and cut a hole for the

turnfin clearance. Next, notch the rear to allow the rudder to move up and

then the rear sponsons will sit flat or however you want them to on the table.

Now you will need a machinist,make a cutout left of the rudder notch so you can

put in interchangable strut degree pieces. Have the machinist make you strut

angle pieces from .1 degree to 2.0 degrees in every size between the two.

These pieces slip inside the table for accurate strut measurements.

So now you can level or measure your hydro without taking off the rudder or

turnfin. The strut pieces will help you understand strut angles and how critical

they are on our hydros. Now you will be much faster and more consistant so

now you should win more races. :lol: :lol: :lol: You will also want a digital

level to help you know and understand the angles that you are setting. This

is a must for very accurate setup of a hydro. It will sure make it a lot easier.

I saw this table down at The Hydro-Masters quite a few years back. Steve

and Chris Wood have the best one that I have ever seen. If you have ever

seen their boats run you will understand what I am talking about.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
This was an article written by Ron Zaker Jr. for a Roostertail probably a year or so ago...Very similar to what Mark submitted, w/o the machinist...

Hydro Intelligence

Ron Zaker Jr.

“Hello, my name is Ron Zaker Jr. and I am addicted to Hydros” All kidding aside this is my first attempt at submitting “tech” articles to the Roostertail pertaining to Hydros. I hope you find the presented information useful, regardless if you are a seasoned veteran or a new racer trying the Hydro classes. I have been very fortunate to have some of the best Hydro people in the country share thoughts, ideas and actually do test sessions together on a regular basis.I hope to pass along tips and information to help the Hydro class grow and become even more competitive. Okay let’s build a set up table. You may ask why? You will NEED this table to document your baseline set up, and to hopefully make positive changes that will enhance the performance of your Hydro. Here is what you need:

1 pc -2’ x4’x3/4” White Melamine shelf board (Home Depot,Lowe’s,etc)

2 pcs -1”x3”x4’ straight Pine boards.

4 pcs – 4 inch long adjustable table legs (with base).

Woodworking glue/drywall screws.

2 each of 2”x2” squares of wood or aluminum shim stock (1/64”, 1/32”, 1/16”, 3/32”, 1/8”, 3/16”, 1/4”)

Digital angle finder (pricey,but worth it)

Various steel rulers and straight edge.

Pad of paper for documentation.

Construction of this set up table is fairly straightforward. The Pine boards are attached underneath and run lengthwise “on edge”. I drill and countersink the tabletop, then glue and screw the boards to the table. Next is mounting the leg bases in the Four Corners under the table. My table has a slot in it so you can do your set up with the turn fin still mounted to the boat. I also have notches in the rear edge of the table so various rudders can be left in their normal position. Screw in the four legs and your done. That’s about it. The adjustable legs allow you to zero out your table in your shop, at the pond, and even in your hotel room while attending out of town races. The small squares of shim stock are used for measuring various dimensions all around the boat, such as rear sponson “off the table”and strut depth in relation to the rear sponsons.etc. Set up tables are like American Express cards “Don’t leave home without it” Hope this will help your program. C -YA

Tim,

Ernst Products makes firewall motor mount shims(aircraft) that can be used for setting the strut angle.They come in .5 thru 2.0 degree increments.Just an FYI.

Ron Jr

Hi Ron,

Would you have contact information on Ernst products like a number or email

address?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

I made a setup table almost identical to Ron's before I ever read the article. We were definitely on the same wave length there.

It works great, it's cheap, and easy.

Mark, Tower Hobbies used to carry them also. Traxxas used to have some also for their cars and trucks to set up the front and rear suspension angles.

I found this-

Ernst R/C Accessories

Ernst Mfg Inc

37570 Ruben Ln Ste B

Sandy, OR

can't find a phone # though

Big Thanks everybody for the info. I got myself the digital level not long ago and have already found it to be an invaluable tool....

Buying the motor mount shims sounds good to me, but tracking them down in Australia could be difficult. If anyone finds a source (prefferably one that sells internationally) would they mind posting it here for me?

Tim.

I jsut bought a set from Mike Z. aka Grimracer. He is a member of this board - moderator or the OB section, and has his own website that you can order through. Worth the money.

John,

are we talking angled shims or Mike's boom shims? I have his boom shims and they are awesome, didn't know he had angled shims.

Tim - (Another happy Grimracer customer) B)

Back