Setup for Cobra FE??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Dias

Hi,

I have a cobra and I would like to make this setup what dou you think?

Lower unit OS

Motor Ul-1 2200Kv

ESC Turnigy 120A

Bateries 4S 5000mha

I need help please............

Best Regards

That would work, however I would look at going to a 180A ESC for down the road. The UL-1 will only take around 80-100A but several other motors will take more amps. In general more amp is more speed! Maybe look at a Leopard 4074 motor. As for batteries Turnigy are ok, low cost and work fine, there are better (but more $) options out there.

You need the CG 8" forward from the back end of the boat, but other than that setup is all prop, prop depth, and prop angle.

Paul

Before you spend any more money to go faster put what you have together and you will be very happy with the performance. The Aquacraft 2030KV and 1800KV motors perform very well with the "stock" 60amp ESC. If you don't overprop this setup will run flawlessly and get you into the high 40 or low 50 mph range. The 1800 will carry a little more weight with the same prop or pull a little more prop. The Turnigy 120 should give you a little more protection but won't as Paul said take much more wattage of a motor. All upgrades you can do later, but what you have will do well.

As for props the M440 X440 X442 and Grimracer 42X55 seem to work on a not too heavy boat without overheating anything. The next ones we have run and lived are Grimracer 42X66,44X66,45X68, and M445. These props may burn you down so be careful. Improper setup and weight cause drag and heat. 4000-5000 mah 4s bateries give enough power to run a standard 6 lap heat race. FE's run most efficient at WOT so speeing up and slowing down actually cuts run time. Turnigys or Zippys are fine but Gens Ace,Grimracer and Hyperion are better. You kind of get what you pay for here. Hyperion at three time sthe price will add a couple mph and you will get your money back in the long run with many more quality cycles. But the cheap ones get me on the water and work well enough to race with. You pocketbook and your call there.

Mic

I've converted 4 of the Cobra boats over to electric in the last 2 years. I run an OS outdrive, UL1 motor, and a 120 Castle controller. The props I started out with were a 42/55 and a 45/55. Now I'm using a 447 major backcut, detunged, tips rounded. This boat likes the prop unloaded. Center of prop is more than 5/16 above the bottom of the boat. CG is right around 8". Depending on the lake, I sometimes add lead underneath the front of the cowl. For the money, this is a hard boat to beat.

I've converted 4 of the Cobra boats over to electric in the last 2 years. I run an OS outdrive, UL1 motor, and a 120 Castle controller. The props I started out with were a 42/55 and a 45/55. Now I'm using a 447 major backcut, detunged, tips rounded. This boat likes the prop unloaded. Center of prop is more than 5/16 above the bottom of the boat. CG is right around 8". Depending on the lake, I sometimes add lead underneath the front of the cowl. For the money, this is a hard boat to beat.
Greg what class are you running that boat in with the 120 castle controller?

Hi,

I have a cobra and I would like to make this setup what dou you think?

Lower unit OS

Motor Ul-1 2200Kv

ESC Turnigy 120A

Bateries 4S 5000mha

I need help please............

Best Regards
Same combo as what I've been building to the letter. Was hoping for maiden voyage today but hit a stumbling point. See FE forum. Before anyone asks - the wire sticking out the side is a safety loop on the battery input side of the ESC - part of FE rules in Australia

My link

Back