Setting up a .21 Cat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

I'm putting together an Aeromarine .21 Cat. It's an older Jesse James hull but I've rebuilt it into great shape. I'll be running a CMB .21 Green Head with a Rossi pipe. I'm gonna use an extended rudder straight over the prop shaft assembly connected to a square drive.

What size tank are you guys using?? 6,8, or 10 oz? I was gonna put it to the right side of the motor and lean the pipe over it but thought that might not be to bright should it get hot and melt the tank. So I'm gonna mount the pipe to the left.

My other option was to cut out the center bulk head and slip in my metal tank. I'm not a big fan of these tanks since you can't tell when there full and with the motor blocking it it wouldn't be convenient to pull out should something go wrong.

Give me some advice what's best. Also, is a Hi-Tec 645MG good enogh to turn this boat?

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a total of 14 i think in my .21...but it was a mono, and a few of those oz's were just there to keep the cg correct. id say 10 at the least. not sure if this is true, but i think if you're mounting a tank to one side it should definitly be the inside-side when your running an oval?

645 worked fine to turn a 3.5 OB for me, but then the gears stripped near the end of the season in a .21 mono so i dunno...probly was just bad luck.

Joe

A 10 oz. tank should work fine for racing but the CMB's seem to use a little more fuel for some reason. I worked on one of these last summer for a friend so I have a little knowledge of the hull. I mounted his tank on the right side also. The way he built the boat was nose heavy so I had a lot of fun trying to balance the boat out. The 645 will work just fine.

I used an extended rudder once on a cat and the and it dragged in the water due to the angle of attack of the boat. They run just a little nose high.

Watch for this. It created MAJOR drag..

\

Latest posts

Back