Sealing a rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumrunner

Can i just seal it with automotive clear or do i have to use west system

or is there another way

thanks shane

Everyone has different methods. I take the Bob Smith Expoxy thin it down with paint thinner so that it is like water and paint it one so that it would soak in. The resand and clear coat to finish

Here's my method that I do believe I picked up on this board several years ago (for memory). It works a real treat (and avoids ALOT of hard sanding of surfaces).

1. Apply Epoxy to the surface (I use West 105/206)

2. Let it soak into the wood for approx 15-20mins or so (no hard and fast rule for me), I also use gentle heat from the hair dryer (not too hot hot though)

3. After the 15-20 mins has elapsed, I wipe the surfaces down with paper towl to remove excess resin (I change the paper frequently).

4. Leave to dry for a day.

5. Use a double edge razor blade to lightly scrape the surfaces (this will remove any high spots, bumps etc)

6. Repeat the process again (steps 1 through 6)

7. Finally I give the bit the lightest rub with 600 grit (done wet)

As I don't paint my boats with colour anymore, after I have done this process twice I apply the vinyl that I want then shoot a 2k automotive clear coat over the boat and it comes up a treat.

That's basically how I do it with my riggers

As has been stated, many have their own preference and techniques when it comes to finishing, I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to do it, it is just a matter of what works for you with the equipment/time available. Me, personally I love the look of natural timber riggers with a little spalsh of colour here and there, it allows you to see the craftsmanship that goes into building them.

Johno

can i use epoxy paint or do i have to use expoxy resin

the resin is because using epoxy resin it needs to be thinned to get in all cracks.

when epoxy paint is thinner

shane

Can't speak for anyone else. I always want the the wood sealed. Think of this. How many times has you looked a natural finish boats and seem what looks to be dark stains.

Either of the two process work. It is a matter of how much work you want to do. And how much time you have. I like my way because I can do it several times. And them start with the finish coats.

Epoxies can be used to seal the wood from water but the epoxy will still absorb oils. Automotive clear, or paint for that matter, is sealing the boat. Thinning "sealer" to allow it to soak is only adding weight too the boat. If you want to use epoxy then put about a quarter sized puddle on the boat and spread it with a squeegee or playing card. When dry, scrape with a razor blade. You end up with the grain being filled with minimum amounts of epoxy and it is smooth. Rough with 220 grit and paint.

P.S.

If you are going to leave the boat natural then you will need to use automotive clear as the epoxy will yellow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back