Seaducer SD2 setup tips

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F.Orlic

Some people might find this info usefull but this is in no way bashing thread.

After few years of working with SD2 I think I finaly got what I wanted.

I've purchased SD2 for testing and breaking engines in as I find it much easier than doing it in a hydro.

Boat was purchased from a fellow boater, boat was in like new condition and was put together by Jerry C.

Boat ran perfect up to 48-49 MPH, some bad tendencies around 52-53 MPH but unpredicatable in high 50 low 60. Boat would hook coming out of turn but not every time, dart down the strait, lay on right side chine walk, simply put just a nightmare.

By fluke I actualy got close to record with boat running 3/4 lenght wet laying flat on left side.

I have talked to people who are mono guys including Jerry but I never got good info on what to do.

I knew sugestions like put boat as per instructions, or bigger stearing servo/ battery, move a strut will not fix this boat. It was perfect where most monos run but I wanted more speed.

After two years I've done some major changes.

I have redone bottom three times changing the hook, took rails out and instaled new ones, I have moved engine twice to present location 3" back from original position, moved tank 3" back, changed radio box to acomodate the engine. I have also moved strut to the left (compensating for rudder lift), moved rudder 5/8" left (closer to strut).

I have tested the boat yesterday with great results. Running Novarossi, my own pipe, 70%, O'Donnell 99T glowplugs, Octura X400 and X447 (cut) I was very happy. Boat is not perfect but very predicatable and very, very fast. It turns nice and smooth, no hooking, sometimes will start to chinewalk at the end of straight but considering the water conditions and speed it was going that did not come as a surprise.

Sometimes it just takes a bit of work to get things right.

Frank,

Congratulations!!

I have to say you're one of the most persistent people I've ever met. I would have given up on that wild little thing long ago. I know you've tried almost everything under the sun to straighten it out with no luck. What did you finally find? A gyro to keep it level? :)

I can't wait to see it in Flint this fall, now I know you'll be there.

Maybe, with a little luck, we can both walk out with a couple of records this time.

Again, congrats Frank, I know how hard you worked on that little Ducer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the bottom still have a hook? I am wondering how it stays on the water with the engine and tank 3" back.

Frank,

Thanks for the sharing your knowledge.

Eliminating most, but not all of the hook dramatically changes the way this boat handles. We have found when you eliminate all of the hook the boat does not track as well in the turns. We have thought about putting a turn fin on the boat with now hook in the bottom. What are your thoughts on this?

When moving the motor and tank back what did you notice? We did this as well and I am wondering if you found the same thing.

One last thing we have tested was to lay the motor as flat and as low as possible and put an "S" bend in the stuffing box. We seemed to have eliminated some chine walk with this. Not sure if this is the best way for the shaft to run. With the motor back the S bend happens in a short distance.

When moving the rudder closer to the strut is it parallel with the strut or do you run some angle on the rudder as in left to right?

All of our testing have been on the SD3 .45 size not the SD2

Thanks again for sharing.

Robert Holland

Robert,

If I'm not mistaken, Franks main concern is for the boat to be as stable as possible in a straight line.The goal is to run mid 70s with the 29" boat. Turning would be nice, but optional at this point. Frank wants the B Mono SAW record and has been working at it for years. Power isn't a problem, the boat was. We saw the boat run 68 mph laying totally on it's side, wet as a drink of water so when the boat finally loosens up and runs somewhat free and level,it's going to be a rocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert,If I'm not mistaken, Franks main concern is for the boat to be as stable as possible in a straight line.The goal is to run mid 70s with the 29" boat. Turning would be nice, but optional at this point. Frank wants the B Mono SAW record and has been working at it for years. Power isn't a problem, the boat was. We saw the boat run 68 mph laying totally on it's side, wet as a drink of water so when the boat finally loosens up and runs somewhat level,it's going to be a rocket.
I see,

That is flat out moving.

Keep us posted on the results and keep up the testing.

Robert

Preston,

the boat stays on water and finaly is running free. I could never free it up, no mater what I did it was always 3/4 lenght wet.

Walt,

I'm not in a chase for SAW record but rather having boat doing what it suposed to do while running fast. I think it would take a small miracle to get 6 lb mono in 70 + mph range.

Robert,

Speaking strictly from my experience as I'm no mono guy by any means

I'm not sure about eliminating hook all together but too much hook will have boat glued to the water and will cause it to bow stear, hook and submerge. I made strut parallel with the keel and offset to the left of center by .187 to prevent getting too much lift from rudder.

Rudder and prop must create same amount of lift for boat to run level, sounds simple only problem is with every change of prop lift is different and rudder lift changes dramaticly as the speed goes up. My choice for rudder is knife blade but since I need some cooling aluminum blade is on for now.

This test had many new things I have not tested before. Boat was changed, engine was something I have never tried before, pipes were my own I made over winter, carb was newer and better than last year's. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Preston, the boat stays on water and finaly is running free. I could never free it up, no mater what I did it was always 3/4 lenght wet.

Walt,

I'm not in a chase for SAW record but rather having boat doing what it suposed to do while running fast. I think it would take a small miracle to get 6 lb mono in 70 + mph range.

Robert,

Speaking strictly from my experience as I'm no mono guy by any means

I'm not sure about eliminating hook all together but too much hook will have boat glued to the water and will cause it to bow stear, hook and submerge. I made strut parallel with the keel and offset to the left of center by .187 to prevent getting too much lift from rudder.

Rudder and prop must create same amount of lift for boat to run level, sounds simple only problem is with every change of prop lift is different and rudder lift changes dramaticly as the speed goes up. My choice for rudder is knife blade but since I need some cooling aluminum blade is on for now.

This test had many new things I have not tested before. Boat was changed, engine was something I have never tried before, pipes were my own I made over winter, carb was newer and better than last year's. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Luck has nothing to do with it your just stubourn as hell :lol: .

Great job buddy , we should go play on Sunday.

Tim K

Frank,

I'd love to see what the Stalker says when you finally get the boat aired out. I'd bet you'd be close.

You only need 6 mph from when it was 3/4 wet. I know 6 mph is a lot, but there's a lot less friction in air vs. water.

Had a chance to see the little SD-2 run today.

What a difference , looked like a competely different animal on the water , unfortunately the wind came up

and made it difficult for any real fast passes.

Great job Frank you are now a mono guy B)

Tim K

Frank, I have been given a SD2 .21bare hull, as there's no set up info I was wondering if you were running it surface drive or still semi subsurface drive. Also what distance from the transom do you have the motor at.

For set up on that sd2 give Jerry Crowther a shout at seaducer boats this way it will be set up right.

For set up on that sd2 give Jerry Crowther a shout at seaducer boats this way it will be set up right.
That was the first thing people told me but the setup was not right on my boat for the speed I was targeting (I was not seting up SAW boat just heat racer). I did talk to Jerry C. in London,On and he never gave me a right answer it was more along the lines "new 33" SD3 is much better boat".

Now, I'm not saying that this is correct setup for SD2, it works for me and I know there is more than few monos with similar problem I had.

Transom to engine centre distance is just under 8 3/4" , boat is surface drive

Somebody told me long time ago "do what everybody else does and you will go only as fast as they go"

Thanks to all who have replied. Yes Frank as you have correctly put it what works for one doesn't nessarly work for all. Thank you

Good to hear you made some more progress. That boat was a rocket laying on its side. Hope to see you in the fall.

Mark

Latest posts

Back