Scoring Program's for RC Boat Racing?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronratoff

Hi all - I am very interested in finding out what programs are being used for scoring RC Boat racing events?

Also if you know of one or have one for sale, can they keep track of yearly class point standings for the racers.

Thanks in advance for your help

Ron Ratoff ;)

I have a program to keep track of yearly points that Charley Howarth and I built. All you have to do is cut and paste the results into the individual race and sort the classes. I can send you a copy if you like. Running the race programs are hard to come by. Ron Byrd has one but he is not around. The CTS program (Easy Track) is what I used. It won't run on anything after Windows 98. Here is a link to their web page. Here is my number if you want to talk about the points programs. 253 838 2568

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
well if you wanted to use a transponder setup, you could use laps free or j-lap thats what we use.

It seems like we need a good race program & I have wanted to design one for some time now. Post your requirements & I'll see what I can come up with once the racing season is done. I would build the app to run on common software like Excel & charge nothing to use it.

Joe

We need to talk. Maybe you can use the excel spread sheet for season long points. I have a few ideas. I also have some heat draw grids that are better than the random number draw. My number is 253 838 2568.

Mike

Actually I have started writing one in vb6 (for ease & speed in the creation) with the following criteria in mind;

1, Ability to track driver highpoints/penalties/place with per heat data spanning multi-years

2, Ability to view driver history/entries and highpoints/penalties/place for each spanning multi-years

3, store all event/race info as well as driver info remotely for backup purposes via internet

4, Ability to view event results via internet as soon as event results are published to web

5, Wizard based event creation as well as driver addition to driver database.

6, simple intuitive interface with customizable display of current, next and get ready heats

7, Software will use the GPL license (free)

other features

1a, Ability to capture timing data for saw with a resolution of one millisecond

2a, capture timing data for single boat laps (open water with single boat on the course) with a resolution of one millisecond. assisting in setup data gathering.

features 1a, 2a will not use the amb system as part of the reason for wanting to create this application was to allow all clubs to utilize this scoring software fee from the burden of costly hardware. If AMB publishes thier API, I can incorporate this functionalty into the application for clubs that already own this hardware.

Although not a 'professional' programmer, I am well versed in many programming languages, work in the IT field, and run my own hosting business from home with over 4 terrabytes of storage capability.

As far as local district three, a conversation with Shiela regarding this approx a month ago is what brought this idea about.

I can have some screenshots of this application in action in a few days and a fundamental basic working app in about a week. Since this will be free software, if you guys think that it looks promising then it can be developed from everyone's input for the benefit of all interested clubs.

scnsht.jpg

This is just a quick shot of the 'New Race/Event Wizard' screen.

Here is another quick shot of the main form displaying sample data. Column titles are only sample as well and will be different. Technical data regarding the event/race will be displayed at the bottom of the form. Toolbar buttons have no images yet are not complete (there will be many more) as well as a menu bar across the top linking to wizards, editors, etc....

Since this will be open source, If anyone has any programming experience in vb6, any ideas regarding layout & functionality or just want to help, I will be creating a webpage for this project where we will be able to login and collaborate and develop the app to a standard that will alow it to be used by all clubs that hold races. A website will also be created where racers can go to view their racing history, highpoints, etc... (once the app is stable)

If you think it has potential and want to help, let me know and we can get started!

scnsht1.jpg

Bill How are the heat drawn? Random number or grid.

Mike

Mike I'd say the app needs to be flexible enough to format the heats randomly, or by brackets. I'm assuming that's what you mean by grid.

Bill since you plan to host the app couldn't the contestants gain access to the wizard and enter information themselves? This would save the CD the headache of entering everyone's data. It could also resolve frequency conflicts at the time of entry eliminating the phone calls. It would also be nice if racers could view the results real time. This obviously would require connectivity but with todays cell technology it's not uncommon.

Mike
Thats the beauty of writing it from scratch, with everyones input. It can be written to do anything that the collective here thinks is best. We can even have the option of doing things in multiple ways (random or grid for heat drawings for example). I would like to write this in a way that everyone can use it. I don't want special credit for writing it. I want those who wish to help, help me make it for every one and everyone can use it. by the racers for the racers, so to speak. With peoples input, we can make this suit our needs to the letter, not just something that 'mostly' suits our needs.

Mike

Mike I'd say the app needs to be flexible enough to format the heats randomly, or by brackets. I'm assuming that's what you mean by grid.

Bill since you plan to host the app couldn't the contestants gain access to the wizard and enter information themselves? This would save the CD the headache of entering everyone's data. It could also resolve frequency conflicts at the time of entry eliminating the phone calls. It would also be nice if racers could view the results real time. This obviously would require connectivity but with todays cell technology it's not uncommon.
Joe

thats the kind of thinking we need! I had not even thought of that! racers can enter thier own data into a webpage, then when the cd or whoever goes to add the racers name to an event, they can get them from the web through the app when they receive the entry form, and import the racers data without having to enter it in other words when the cd gets an entry, he enters the racers name, the app goes to the web and checks to see if the racers data is on the site. If it is, it imports it and adds the racers name and data to the race/event, worst case, the name is not there and the cd will need to enter it manually.

Hi Bill - That's great...If your are already working on the program, then I will drop the one I started on. I'm backed up on some other projects.Please keep me informed and if I can help with any sections of coding just let me know.

Ron Ratoff ;)

Joe

Bracket draw is what I am talking about.

The random number draw that the CTS program uses does not do a good job all the time. We used it at our nats in 02 and we found that there were guys drawing each other for 4 rounds. We were running 6 boat heats with 4 rounds. The class had 40+ boats. This should not have occured. Worst would of been 3 times with most only drawing twice. I spent quite a bit of time building and checking brackets. I sent the 07 NAMBA nats commitee a heat draw bracket for 8 boat heats. This one is a little different than the 6 boat heat draw that I built for our nats in 09.

Bill

If you would like any of these to use, let me know. They are in excel.

Some things that are nice about CTS

- being able to look up people by a freq #(helps to eliminate lost freq pins and someones on my channel complaints)

- it will not let you edit a freq conflict into a heat

- exporting the results easily as an excel file

- being able to give out, when scoring a heat, multiple places. IE 2 fourth place points. We have a rule "4th place points will be awarded to any one that is taken out during a heat as a result of the other person being Disqualified (DQ)"

- being able to award whatever you want in a heat. Say a 2nd and a 4th only. Sometime we combine 2 heats into 1 and don't edit the heat. It is jsut easier to award the place between the 2 heats.

- being able to deduct points from a placing

There are probably more but it is late. I will post them later.

Thanks

Mike

This is awesome stuff guys, Bill great job getting the ball rolling. Cant wait to see the end results from the collective efforts here at I/W .. Thanks guys... Its long overdue.

Andy

Ron,,thanks for getting this project underway,,,Bill keep the ball rolling,,with the help here on IW this is gonna be a great new addition for keeping score....

OK, need a little input from you guy's.

Since I have never had to arrainge/setup a race before...

I need to know ALL of the parameters that need to be gathered when creating a 'new' race. this does not include driver information as the app will collect that info from a different form (will need that info as well).

This is the info that I have the app collecting now regarding creation of a new event;

1, Event Title

2, Date of event

3, Sanctioning body (for highpoint tracking)

4, Minimum boats to make a heat (number)

5, maximum boats to fill a heat (number)

6, Heats to run (number)

7, Entry fee

8, date entries are considered late

9, late entry fee

If there is more info that the app needs to know to CREATE an event, NOT including driver info, let me know

Also, I have incorporated and audio clock into the app with the ability to jump from the 2 min. pit time to the 30 sec. clock if all boats are in the water and no drivers object.

I have created a new photo album to hold screenshots, and have add a few new images there of the event creation wizard and the start/mill time clock.

Race Management Photo Album

Being able to view amount of contestants and boats. Being able to view amount paid and amount owed.

When it comes to people entries. It is nice to be able to view them as a whole by all, class, frequency, or unpaid.

When it comes to the heats. It is nice to be able to rearrange the running order. Also making a default classes so that when you go to set up the next race all you have to do is use that default setting and don't have to reinput the classes. Being able to check for freq conflicts prior to building heats. Being able to build one or multiple heats by entering the amount. Being able to delete any unscored rounds. Being able to delete rounds after number X or delete all rounds.

Able to compute individual class totals before the end of the event and being able to print them out.

I know that the IMPBA guys use heat racing, saw and 2 lap for their US1. That would be nice to track all that too. You would need to talk with someone more familiar with it than I.

Mike

PS Leaving for nats today at 5, so I may be outof touch for a while.

The way I have writeen it so far, It gets the paid/unpaid totals as the drivers are entered. this is more 'Driver Data' than event data. but it is calculated as the drivers are entered in the classes. The classes and heats will be displayed in listboxes that will show how may boats per class have been entered so far, etc.

Here is a quick screenshot of the 'Event Editor' This form will probably change significantly and is not even anywhere near being complete. Some of the labels do not work or will be changed or removed etc... so don't take what you see to be permanent.

Back