Sandpaper recommendation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I need to dry sand the primer as there are a few thin spots on the wooden hull that I might sand through and hit bare wood. What is the best sandpaper for dry sanding paint? Has anyone tried the sanding sponge?

Thanks,kez

sandblaster at lowes 320 or 400 grit

or

320 to 600 wet or dry with water(can cut through real easy)

or

finest scotch brite you can find,usually grey

Thanks Steve. I need to dry sand the primer as I may hit bare wood in a couple of high spots. What would you recommend for dry sanding?

Wet and dry paper does not work very well when dry sanding. I like the alumiinum oxide paper (the gray color one) for dry sanding but I cannot find any finer than 240 grit. That is too coarse for paint and finishing.

kez

Hey Kez,

If you are just scratching the primer to apply a finish coat, as said before the grey or green scotchbrite pad is the way to go. If you are trying to level the primer then you may have to make a trip to an auto body supply store for the good 3M sandpaper. It's pricey, but worth the $. The home center doesn't carry much above 320 grit and for dry sanding you'll want to stay above 400, maybe 600 depending on how thick your prime coat is.

I'm curious why you can't wet sand? IMO it is the best way to scuff thin layers of paint.

Scott

I have a few sheets of 400 and 800 I could sell you.

I may also have a few 600 around.

How many sheets would you be looking for of each?

Need to know so I can figure a price ( store usualy sell for $1.00 + per sheet. finer the grit the more it costs.

Hey Kez,

If you are just scratching the primer to apply a finish coat, as said before the grey or green scotchbrite pad is the way to go. If you are trying to level the primer then you may have to make a trip to an auto body supply store for the good 3M sandpaper. It's pricey, but worth the $. The home center doesn't carry much above 320 grit and for dry sanding you'll want to stay above 400, maybe 600 depending on how thick your prime coat is.

I'm curious why you can't wet sand? IMO it is the best way to scuff thin layers of paint.

Scott
Hi Scott,

I have applied two coats of primers and have level sanded each coat. I am tryiing to scratch the primer and also smooth a couple of spots which turned out a little "sandy". I usually get my sandpaper from a auto supply store but I do not like to dry sand with "wet and dry" paper. Hence the question of what sandpaper to use when you have to dry sand the finish.

I usually wet sand but I cannot wet sand in this case as I might hit bare wood in a couple of spots and at the corners.

kez

You did not seal the wood with epoxy before priming?
Hi Glenn,

Yes I did seal the wood but I have learned from experience not to wet sand the first coat of primer on a wooden hull, It is easy to go through the primer and the epoxy and hit bare wood at the corners. Once water gets in, it will raise the wood grain and ruin the finish.

I always wet sand the subsequent coats. On a glass hull, I do wet sand the primer.

kez

Back