?s for "Bob Violett Models" (BVM) remote needle users

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow

I took apart my 3rd channel mixture needle today and noticed something that I have never noticed before. Inside the purple part of the assembly, above the black O-rings was a price of Teflon around the needle. I then took another one apart and saw it in the other one as well. In the first assembly it was crushed, in the second it was flat against the needle itself (sleeved around it). My question is; will it still work without it, and if not where can I get more. Since the last I heard BVM products were not being made any more. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff

Just my .02 cents Cliff, I have never seen teflon inside BV needle assys before -unless someone might have used teflon tape to seal the threads and which could have migrated into unwanted areas. I have found bits of the purple plastic they used in unwanted areas.

Thanks Glenn for the reply the only problem I have is that one was a needle assembly that I personally took out of the package and one was an assembly that I bought used like 4 years ago. They both had the Teflon peice in them and the one that brought the question had the Teflon preice pushed up to the very top and crushed up.

Walt Barney uses and sells them maybe he can shed some light . Walt is a big part of this hobby with all his custom tanks and parts . In the manufacturers section .

The clear Teflon or what ever it is, (I believe0 to aid in the assembly of the needle valve in assembly. Take the Teflon or what ever it is and throw it away, then replace your "O" rings and you are good as new. I have rebuilt a lot of them.

I am familiar with the clear sleeve in the bvm needles. I always thought it was intended for keeping the alignment of the needle in the base. In my approximately 10 years of using bvm needles I have not found a more flow consistent needle than it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry,

How often do you replace the o-rings in the BVM needles??

Duke
Only when they are bad, if you tap or wiggle the valve assy with your flow meter on it and the flow jumps around. Personally I use the Russian / CMDI 3rd channel needles.

Jerry,

How often do you replace the o-rings in the BVM needles??

Duke
Only when they are bad, if you tap or wiggle the valve assy with your flow meter on it and the flow jumps around. Personally I use the Russian / CMDI 3rd channel needles.
10-4 Jerry,

The "K' needles (Kalistrov), (Russian), CMDI, or whatever they are called, work the best

for myself in all my boats. never rebuilt one yet, since 2006.

BVM... or Don Ferrete's...are the two that I have had the best of luck with. I even use the BVM in my 21's...but they are hard to find a good spot to put them when building a small rig,so that is the edge that the Ferrete fuel "DR" has over the BVM. You cannot go wrong with ether of the two. I would like to try Mark Grim's...just have not got a hold of one yet. JMO

The clear Teflon or what ever it is, (I believe0 to aid in the assembly of the needle valve in assembly. Take the Teflon or what ever it is and throw it away, then replace your "O" rings and you are good as new. I have rebuilt a lot of them.
Cliff, I think this is what threw me off when you mentioned teflon. I've machined and used a lot of it and it was always white-not clear, I think Jerry is right the clear stuff falls into the "whatever it is" catagory.

I use BVM on every Twin and boat i have.. I also use Don F needles on a B mono and they both work great.. But for 45 and above i use BVM more flow and fine tunning is what i have found ;-)

Thanks to everyone for the input and many years of knowledge. I appreciate you all chiming ing to help a fellow boater out. I love the boating community!

Cliff

I've seen that little teflon sleeve recently as I just took apart and rebuilt a BVM that was in a rigger I was rebuilding. I found that it had actually shed a small piece and was blocking the rest of the needle so I scrapped it and replaced the O rings just like everyone else had. Seems fine. I ran the boat Sunday and the flow was normal as it had been.

Back