Running Surface texture

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building my own boat that has some JAE features.. it's just part of the hobby to me.. looking for different things to try., I like to have things a bit different,.,

I do not know much about this stuff. But can you raise the rear of the sponsons to offset the extra thickness that adding shingles adds or is it the added angle of each small step of the shingle that changes it?
Steve, In essence you can. Having said this you have changed the AOA of the center section. I have found anytime I have a "down hill" running tub they get real hard to tune. I think allot of that has to do with the air slowing as it exits the center section. You don’t want the air slowing down past the center of gravity. Very important on a sport hydro.. not so much however on a stick boat.

Now, If the “Shingles” are too thick you might never meet an angle that satisfies the need. You would be merely running mutable wetted surfaces, vented (albeit at a potently high compressive AOA).

Im not sure I just made any sense to me…………..

:blink: :blink: :ph34r: :D Corky-grim

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know much about this stuff. But can you raise the rear of the sponsons to offset the extra thickness that adding shingles adds or is it the added angle of each small step of the shingle that changes it?
Steve, In essence you can. Having said this you have changed the AOA of the center section. I have found anytime I have a "down hill" running tub they get real hard to tune. I think allot of that has to do with the air slowing as it exits the center section. You don’t want the air slowing down past the center of gravity. Very important on a sport hydro.. not so much however on a stick boat.

Now, If the “Shingles” are too thick you might never meet an angle that satisfies the need. You would be merely running mutable wetted surfaces, vented (albeit at a potently high compressive AOA).

Im not sure I just made any sense to me…………..

:blink: :blink: :ph34r: :D Corky-grim
Mike ,

What if you rebuild the sponson bottom so that the edges of the shingles follow the original line of the sponson so the AoA does not change for tub or sponson.

I am not trying to be a problem child just trying to learn. :wacko:

I think that would be called a "stepped" sponson, not "shingled",.. I have run a few boats with 1/16 shingles,. they worked very well to get the boat to launch better.

maybe a boat with a low AOA could do better with Shingles.

Stepped is just that. I sponson bottom that falls away with one step being parallel to the other. Not the same as a shingle. (or vented for that matter).

Steve. I think what you are saying is just what we are talking about. Adding shingles to an existing running angle increases the surface AOA. I hope I understood you right.

Grim

I think that would be called a "stepped" sponson, not "shingled",.. I have run a few boats with 1/16 shingles,. they worked very well to get the boat to launch better.

maybe a boat with a low AOA could do better with Shingles.

They sure will.. any sponson with an increased AOA is easer to launch. It was not the "venting" for lack of a better term.

Grim

Latest posts

Back