Running in motor question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Johnstone

So I finally got around to running my pt sport 40. It has a new Novarossi 46dd, nova pipe set at 8.75", Orlic carb. It ran good on the bench, but when it was launched it would run slowly for half the length of the straight and then stop. It had a 452 prop initially but I dropped back to a 450 which allowed my to at least make it around one corner before stopping. This is the first 45 size engine I have ever run so I don't have any set up knowledge so not sure of mixture, if I'm too lean, too rich or some other issue stopping the boat from running. It has had very little running so not sure if more bench running required. Any suggestions on how to keep the boat running would be very much appreciated

Try putting the factory carb back on and set your pipe length to 10" get it running good first then shorten the pipe.

Also you may want to go down to a X 447 or X448 . Even go to 10 3/8" on the pipe and make sure you got smoke coming out of the pipe and then you can start to lean it in.

Brad

Wayne It should be bubbly on the bench. If it is very responsive on shore its probably to lean especially for a new motor.

On shore if you go full throttle quickly and it takes a couple of seconds to clear out, your close.

I'm sure the measurement you took on the pipe is straight back from the plug and not the 180 deg included?

I also like what the other posts say as well.

Tim

Back