Running hardware source Q:s

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niklas Edlund

I'm looking for tip's / links on good vendors for some top-notch outrigger drive line hardware (as CMD seems not to be an option nowadays).

A. Small dia (up to aprox 9 mm / .035") steel drivedog with one or two 5-40 set screws. I have only found Octura that seem to fit the bill but that dog seem to have a 4-40 threaded screw and Im not too keen on that... Any suggestions?

B. .187 flex (18" total length) with a soldered 3/16" propshaft that is aprox 80-85 mm long (3.15-3.35"). Preferably the flex and prop shaft also would be physically secured together (riveted with a pin) also as the CMD ones are (I think). Also with a nicely made thread that does not destroy the prop nut immediately as the Aeromarine ones I have bought does. Is Hughey the best choice?

C. Motor flex collet - mainly for .21 size as in 1/4-28 thread and .187 flex. We have used CMD and Aeromarine collets and basically we have not had any issues but of course I'm open to suggestions. :) I've read that some are more satisfied with the Octura collets. Whats your thoughts and experience? Anyone got a picture of a Octura one "taken apart"?

D. Brass tube 3/16" flex bushings: not a big q... ;) They are available from multiple sources including some here on the forum. Any thoughts - experiences? It shouldn't be that much of a difference one would think... ;)

Thanks in advance! :)

Ciao,

/Niklas

Niklas, Can Mark get you the hardware that you need?

On flex shafts, the Hughey Shafts are definitely the way to go.

Flex collets, seem that most have had the best luck with the octura 2 piece collets. I used to run Aeromarine, but seems many are having issues with runout, so Tim Duggan pointed me onto the Octura 2 piece flex collets.

Thanks!

Mark - as in sholund? If so i would guess yes. :)

Is the hughey flexes soldered good? No issues with them coming apart?

Octura collets: okodoki. :)

Whats your prefered dealer of those?

Last edited by a moderator:
Niklas...........Ed Hughey shafts are the best available. I have been using them for over 30 years. Contact him directly @ 317-566-9708. He also sells Octura parts (drive dogs etc,). You will not be disappointed.

Regards........Rick

I have only ran 2 hughey shafts, and have never had one single issue with them. So, for me there is no substitute. I will always run Hughey flex shafts. My prefered dealer for the Hughey stuff is Timothy Jones of JE products here on IW. He might also be able to get us the Octura collets. Let me shoot him a quick message. And yes, Mark as in Sholund. I didnt know if the fella that he gets hardware from (cant remember the name, sorry) had something like the dogs your looking for.

If Tim cant get the collets for us, then my next choice would be here:

http://www.gravesrc.com/OCTOCFH1418_OCT_FLEX_HEX_ASY_1_4_28_185_p/octocfh1418.htm

Also, if you need tape, fuel tubing, or starter belts, Tim is the best source I have found for those 3. His fuel and exhaust tubing is second to none.

I have a order pending for Octura, I will be stocking many collets. 1/4-28 x 187 are coming in a couple days.

Hugheys, collets, drive dogs ect>>>>>>>>>

Tim

There we go Niklas. TimothyJones would be the place I would buy from :D Great service, and super fast shipping. Heck, I have had things arrive in my mailbox before I have even sent the payment!

Thanks! I'll send a Pm to Tim tomorrow. :)

Btw, are the octura dogs 4-40? I dont like tightening it with a .050 bit... Thoughts?

I do think the octura dogs are 4-40. I did notice though that they offer 1/4 inch ones in dual set screws. Wonder if they have the same dual set screws for the 3/16 ones? I can tell you that I have found to dimple the prop shaft with a 1/8 drill bit where I want the screw to set. Then, tighten down the 4-40 screw with red loctite on the threads, and have yet to have an issue. I dont kill the screw, just snug it enough to make sure the dog isnt going to move around (making sure the screw is in the dimple you have made) then let the loctite setup and your good to go.

Dog: If with dual 4-40's i would be ALL good i think. ;)

Of course i tight it with red tight also and grind the shaft flat, but its helluva better to tighteing it with a bigger hex if one could choose. The .050 arent that huge.... ;)

Ok,

I learned this from Stu Barr.

If you don't like the set screw pick up the case hardened hex bolts and use them.Tighten up really good, cut and Grind flat.

Get it long enough to use the bolt several times. Of course, forget about removing the drive dog.

Tim

PS

I have a catalog coming

Latest posts

Back