Run away props....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasoncsc

Guys,

Yesterday while I was having so much fun on my boat with a newly balanced and modified prop, all of a sudden the flex shaft broke.... :(

That shaft has only been ran less than 20 tanks, and always cleaned and greese after a day of running. That prop I lost was a result that took me about 2 weeks of work balancing, sharping and trying different cuts and bents on 4 different props to come out with the best solution so far. This is my first try on modifying props and I was nearly in tears when I pick up the boat and realized the prop was gone.... :'(

Want to pick you guru's brains as to how to prevent props from running away when the flex shaft break.... I thought of cutting an opening at the strut and install a collar so that when the flex shaft break the solid part of the shaft would still be there....i know this might be a stupid idea, but any of you guys have better ideas?

Regards,

Jason

I would start by greasing your cable more . We grease after each tank of fuel . Your idea would put more drag in water as a coller would be bigger then stuffing tube. You could go to a square drive set-up as that uses set screws to hold it together that the strut. Scott

There is one more step after cleaning. Inspect the shaft for any broken wires. I remove the shaft then clean and grease immediately after each days running. My shafts stopped breaking when I realized how quickly rust forms on the shaft.

Lohring Miller

I bet we all lost a prop that way , i lube my drive cable after every run,plus i shoot some lube on the bearing under the starter cone,this will help your problem.just remember that won't be your last prop. :'( Your bound to hit something in the water like a turtle.My buddie just blew his transum almost all the way off , he hit something ??? maybe a big fish.

on my boat ive got a little bit of , dont know what it is but its like a bottle cap but its extended higher and its got a tapered bottom with a length of fuel tubing comin off the bottum onte the tip of the shaft. put thick oil into it and it slowly goes through into the shaft while its runnin ;)

Davo 8)

I think your talking about a IB Motor?

well I use 3/16 collar and 1/4 inch collars on all my shafts, as if the cable breaks, or comes loose, i will not loose a prop.

Remember it takes a good prop for a boat to do 200.

dont want to loose it. ;D ;D

Back