Rules - why have them???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I planned a trip to your country, I would expect to play by your rules unless they required me to drive in my underwear. That would be a bad scene! I realy do not care one way or another and plan to build a Sport 20 this winter I'm surely going to take the opertunity to vote on the matter.
Acutally we have bent the rules to accommodate the 'Yanks' that have come over in the past, but would you guys do the same?

It is illegal to use 75mhz frequencies in Australia and agains but we can get permits for you guys to use them and at the 1995 Australian Nationals we created a special class for Sport 20 so the Yanks could race their boats.

I thought the idea of having different classes is to have similar boats racing in each of the different classes. I think the reason Sport 20 was created was to allow the boats that were different from B hydros to race in their own class, but closing the gap on the differences brings them closer again. What rule change will be next? I think I might be able to put a scale like cowl on a Eagle SG and race that shortly.

I'm not having a go at anyone and I enjoy racing with you guys but I would hate to see a new guy spend a fortune on a 6 month old boat that was built to the rules at the time and get his a$$ kicked at his first race and then go home never to return.

Grub

Craig, just curious how many IMPBA races you attend each year?
16 of us Aussies went to the NAMBA Nats last year and 12 to the Internats. Not only did we race but we supported all the manufacturers and clubs as we bought a heap of stuff including hulls, motors and hardware plus lots of food from the canteens, drinks and alcohol. Don't forget we also paid our entry fees for the event plus membership fees to race.

Why should we go if we can't race with our boats? It's not only IMPBA that loses, its the manufacturers and the host club as well.

.................though few Americans will ever race in your country.
But there are some Americans that have been over here and will be coming back.

Team Ozzy may be there again next year.

Grub
And when you come over, did you run 10% nitro? Remember the rule is not banning you from running a strut the way you have it. My point is that I see nothing wrong with changing the rules if the majority of the voting members are in favor of the change.

If I planned a trip to your country, I would expect to play by your rules unless they required me to drive in my underwear. That would be a bad scene! I realy do not care one way or another and plan to build a Sport 20 this winter I'm surely going to take the opertunity to vote on the matter.
10% Nitro is a myth in Australia!!! The change to the boat is not as easy as emptying the tank.... you are talking drilling holes!!!! and possibly through a really nice paint job that will be scarred forever when that boat goes back to its original configuration to race elsewhere...

I would expect that I be afforded the opportunity to race on an even playing field. Classes that have the same rules in multiple associations allows that even playing field... it allows and PROMOTES international and inter association competition... Departing from this simply isolates you from the rest of the world of boating.... and even isolates you from fellow Americans....

If it is not a level playing field when I plan my trip I just wont bring the boats in those classes. Or I will go where they are not disadvantaged... Not worth carting a boat half way around the world to be running with a handicap...

You know the one thing that is really stunning???? You dont even admit there are drawbacks in what you are proposing and refuse to even concede there are negative effects....

Rule changes that depart from (defacto) International standards should not be taken on board by the association but granted consessions on a local club basis if required remembering that sanctioned events will not allow those "illegal" boats to run. Or do you just expect NAMBA and AMPBA and NAVIGA to all follow you???

You are planning on building a sport 20? What would happen if say NAMBA held their nationals close to you next year? You would not be allowed to race your boat... thats what would happen. Now explain that to a 15 year old novice boater with a sport 20 he built to your rules and now cant race it at a National event....

The world is bigger than your back yard....

"The world is bigger than your back yard...."

You will probably see the scale guys weighing in on this issue. Why? Well, cause first you'll have the Sport 20 guys running outside struts, then later there will be a push to make Sport 40 boats legal with outside struts, then after that's been around for a while, there will be a push for scale. So the scale guys will just say--- Hey, let's just keep them all the same, so I won't have to worry about this creappin' into the scale class.

"10% Nitro is a myth in Australia!!! The change to the boat is not as easy as emptying the tank.... you are talking drilling holes!!!! and possibly through a really nice paint job that will be scarred forever when that boat goes back to its original configuration to race elsewhere...

I would expect that I be afforded the opportunity to race on an even playing field. Classes that have the same rules in multiple associations allows that even playing field... it allows and PROMOTES international and inter association competition... Departing from this simply isolates you from the rest of the world of boating.... and even isolates you from fellow Americans....

If it is not a level playing field when I plan my trip I just wont bring the boats in those classes. Or I will go where they are not disadvantaged... Not worth carting a boat half way around the world to be running with a handicap..."

I doubt you will ever see a level playing field in the Sport 20 class since it already allows for modified motors.

"You know the one thing that is really stunning???? You dont even admit there are drawbacks in what you are proposing and refuse to even concede there are negative effects....

Rule changes that depart from (defacto) International standards should not be taken on board by the association but granted consessions on a local club basis if required remembering that sanctioned events will not allow those "illegal" boats to run. Or do you just expect NAMBA and AMPBA and NAVIGA to all follow you???

You are planning on building a sport 20? What would happen if say NAMBA held their nationals close to you next year? You would not be allowed to race your boat... thats what would happen. Now explain that to a 15 year old novice boater with a sport 20 he built to your rules and now cant race it at a National event....

The world is bigger than your back yard...."

Craig, just to clearify, I am not the author of the proposed rule change only a supporter. I do realize that the rule change will impact the current Sport 20 boaters and they may be at a disadvantage if they choose not to modify their boats. I do not expect a sanctioning body to allow me to race a boat that does not meet their rules. I've accounted for all this before I placed my vote but the fact is that in the 19 years I've been racing, I've never been to a NAMBA race even when the Nats were within 100 miles from my home. Nothing against NAMBA but I've always been fortunate to live in an area that heavily supports IMPBA. My "back yard" is the largest district in IMPBA and am happy racing within it. But that's my choice.

You are absolutely correct that the rule has implications and everyone that has the right to vote on this issue should consider both the bad and the good before placing a vote. When the voting is complete I will support the rule however they play out.

I am building a Sport 20 but I'm going to wait until the voting is complete and then build it up to the maximum potential that the rules allow as I do with all of my boats. Remember it's racing not cruise night at your local drive in.

Craig, if you do decide to come to the Nats in Evansville, we can discuss the outcome over a beer. It may be a Coors for me though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rules - Why have them?

Hmmmmm..........

I would guess that rules were made originally at the very basic of levels because somebody was getting smoked at every racing by a boat that was a little different.

Rules - Why change them?

Hmmmmm..........

After the rules were put in place somebody was still getting smoked. In this case, they thought if the strut was on the transom they would instantly start winning races.

It's true and rediculous! You might as well be arguing the best boat or motor. A strut is not going to make any over night heros or loosers. Before Andy told you what his strut was doing you all thought it was a magical fix to prop walk. How many times have you bought "THE" pipe and gone no faster than before? Hang the strut 3 feet off the transom if you want because it will most likely return to it's original position. I remember all that extended hardware that was supposed to be the cat's a$$. Funny how a lot of the faster boats have the hardware at the transom.

Craig, just curious how many IMPBA races you attend each year? Did you ever consider that if the rule is passed, all you have to do is move the strut and cover up the hole in the bottom of the boat...
And buy a longer shaft, and replace the stuffing tube, etc, etc, etc. Why don't you focus on the discussion instead of the ad hominem attacks? From the discussion, it's not clear that the consensus is transom mounted struts.

Several years ago Mark Anderson moved the strut on his Mutt II from the inside of the transom to the back of the transom. After some initial setup adjustments, there was no difference in handling or performance. This boat is the fastest (81+ mph NAMBA & IMPBA record) Sport 40 I know of. I think appearance is the main issue.

Bu the way, I have raced both with Craig and the group Australians who attended the 2004 NAMBA Nationals in California. I doubt that we bent any rules and they did very well. They were also a fantastic group of guys. All Hobbs managed to get to their National Championships and had a good time as well. I wish I could have gone.

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back