Rossi 3.5 Vs Novarossi Keep Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randell Doane

I'm planning on getting the zipkits outboard outrigger in attempt for a SAW record. I'm going to be using this leg http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/3_5_bullet_drive.html. Which of the two outboards above do you think is better performing? I know the novarossi keep outboard has a higher rpm, but that doesn't necessarily equate to more power, plus I can't seem to find a horsepower rating on the keep outboard. Any info would be very helpful

-thanks

Buy lots of spare cranks if you get the Rossi

Or save yourself the hassle and go the Keep from the start

As stated OS lower or lawless with OS prop shaft. The Hyperformance Bullet would be counterproductive. From what I have seen run the Keep is a great choice.

Mic

Reliability is not really a concern of mine, I'm just wondering which one has a greater power output and better performance. Are there any other engines I should consider? Also, why is the bullet drive counterproductive?

thanks

Reliability is not really a concern of mine, I'm just wondering which one has a greater power output and better performance. Are there any other engines I should consider? Also, why is the bullet drive counterproductive?

thanks
Three highly experienced tunnel racers from two different continents gave you sound advice about your equipment choices. The .21 axe rossi power heads have a track record for breaking cranks like teeth in a bar fight. The OS and Lawless have proven to be the the best performing .21 lower units, the hyperformance unit, eh, not so much. Try and reinvent the wheel if you feel you must, but an unreliable engine on a poor performing lower unit will be counter productive...

The Hyper lower uses either K&B or Hyper prop shafts. They wear out quickly. A slight out of round will scrub power and add handling problems. The OS prop shaft wears like iron and stays true. Second the nose cone on the Hyper looks cool like a speedmaster but if not trimmed at a level angle will cause erratic handling. I tested one and watched a friends boat all over the water with one. If you ball up a flex shaft in a one piece lower it's done. Sounds like you already bought one and are trying to justify it. The Keep is a top notch motor and putting it on a cheap lower when there are much better ones out there is throwing performance away.

Mic

Again, reliability isn't even really a concern for me, I am just looking for whatever setup will give me the highest top end speed. I don't know the power output of the Novarossi vs the rossi since I currently don't own either, and the recommendations I've gotten mostly seem to be about reliability, (which is very understandable) but still reliability isn't really a factor in this case. Same goes with the flex cables, I don't really care if I have to replace a whole lower as long as it gives me a boost in speed. The reason I was looking at the bullet drive is it seems to have less surface area than other lowers and also seems more hydrodynamic. I have no question with regards to your experience (especially given my own limited experience), I just want considerations to be based on speed alone. So what motor has a greater power output?

Oh and what lower unit has the least resistance? I am not necessarily set on the bullet drive since I haven't boughten one yet

I would say Lawless, I prefer OS myself. You do know Rossi is not made any more. And as for as HP ratings, I don't believe 1 of them from any manufacture. Larry hit the nail on the head.

Rene

You're gonna want to stick with either the O.S. Or Lawless leg with O.S. Shaft as Mic, HTV boats, stated. Much better lowers. While reliability may not be a concern, when you begin losing either a shaft or a lower unit, speed and the motors ability to actually run dwindle. Go with either one of the lowers stated, and have a brass liner made for it. If surface area is a concern, there is enough material on the lawless to take it down some and sharpen it.

As far as performance, if you're buying a new motor I would go with the KEEP. Box stock we tested the motor for Glenn and ran 58.2 on a Lynx tunnel hull.

You will be wanting to look at a lot more than motor and lower though, finding the best pipe and prop combo is the key.

Good luck!

- Brandon

You're gonna want to stick with either the O.S. Or Lawless leg with O.S. Shaft as Mic, HTV boats, stated. Much better lowers. While reliability may not be a concern, when you begin losing either a shaft or a lower unit, speed and the motors ability to actually run dwindle. Go with either one of the lowers stated, and have a brass liner made for it. If surface area is a concern, there is enough material on the lawless to take it down some and sharpen it.

As far as performance, if you're buying a new motor I would go with the KEEP. Box stock we tested the motor for Glenn and ran 58.2 on a Lynx tunnel hull.

You will be wanting to look at a lot more than motor and lower though, finding the best pipe and prop combo is the key.

Good luck!

- Brandon
X2...
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back