rooster tail spray pattern

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moontz

running a seaducer 67. the spray pattern on my rooster tail seems very high when comparing to some of the other boats i see running around. makes me think im losing so speed because of it. I dont have a good pic of it, but looks very similar to this

148.jpg

i have tried x460, 560, 457 and all behave about the same +/- a few mph (had best luck with the x560). anyway, what is typically the cause? i would think low and flat rooster tail means more speed but not sure how to get to that.

thanks in advance for any help

Brian

running a seaducer 67. the spray pattern on my rooster tail seems very high when comparing to some of the other boats i see running around. makes me think im losing so speed because of it. I dont have a good pic of it, but looks very similar to this
148.jpg

i have tried x460, 560, 457 and all behave about the same +/- a few mph (had best luck with the x560). anyway, what is typically the cause? i would think low and flat rooster tail means more speed but not sure how to get to that.

Brian

How is the speed compared to your competition ??

Once again, more info needed-

Looks pretty happy to me ;)

I wouldn't get to concerned with the spray pattern- IF your passing people :eek:

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
148.jpg

Brian

How is the speed compared to your competition ??

Once again, more info needed-

Looks pretty happy to me ;)

I wouldn't get to concerned with the spray pattern- IF your passing people :eek:

Andy
Set the boat to Seaducer Building specs. Strut - 1/8 from the bottom. Perfectly straight & level. Check this with a straight edge hannging off the bottom of the boat. Make sure rudder is cut to correct length & is the correct size rudder blade. X series props have a wide spray angle. You boat hull looks to be running very wet. (nose down) ideal props for 60 seadcuer is a SD65 - SD85 or a Octura X462. jw

The boat in the photo is not the OP's so comments about it are meaningless. Besides, it's coming out of a turn so the bow could be a bit wet.

X-series props are not high lift - at least not compared to other Octura props. I've seen that roost pattern often with all kinds of props....is it happening just in the turns and when accelerating, or also at the end of the straight? Prop depth could be a player, but as others have stated, if it runs well it is probably fine. To give more help we'll have to know more and see an actual photo ofyour boat, preferably aired out in the straights.

I corrected my post. X462 is the spec prop for the Seaucer 60/80, Seaducer sells SD65 SD85 props for that same hull, Prather 255 260 work well also. Depends on what engine you are running & how much torque it has.

Set the boat to Seaducer Building specs. Strut - 1/8 from the bottom. Perfectly straight & level. Check this with a straight edge hannging off the bottom of the boat. Make sure rudder is cut to correct length & is the correct size rudder blade. X series props have a wide spray angle. You boat hull looks to be running very wet. (nose down) ideal props for 60 seadcuer is a SD65 - SD85 or a Octura X462. jw
right now, it's 1/4" from bottom of boat to bottom of strut. it should be 1/8"? not easy for me to try as id have to cut the hole larger to allow it to drop that low. you think dropping it to 1/8 would help things? if so, ill get out the dremel.

right now, it's 1/4" from bottom of boat to bottom of strut. it should be 1/8"? not easy for me to try as id have to cut the hole larger to allow it to drop that low. you think dropping it to 1/8 would help things? if so, ill get out the dremel.

Where are you runnin your seaducer at Brian?

Larry Gempp Jr.

If you donrt have the inst that came with the 60/80 boat? view Seaducerboats.com for the inst. 1/8 is the correct air gap.

When tuning the prop depth, 1/8" is a bunch. I step the depth at 1/16" and finally 1/32" increments when looking for a setup. Might fine tune it as little at 0.010" to get it 'just right'.

When tuning the prop depth, 1/8" is a bunch. I step the depth at 1/16" and finally 1/32" increments when looking for a setup. Might fine tune it as little at 0.010" to get it 'just right'.
1/8" does seem like a lot, i used to go that far on full scale v hulls, when setting the jack plate up.

If you donrt have the inst that came with the 60/820 boat? view Seaducerboats.com for the inst. 1/8 is the correct air gap.
thanks. i went there the other week looking for the manual and site wasnt displaying anything. ends up the site does not work using firefox web browser. tried internet explorer and was able to see the manual. odd. but i got it now so thanks.

Larry Gempp Jr.
from the west burbs(carol stream) so when playing around just local ponds away from houses. otherwise I run with a group of friends up in WI if I have time to make it up there which is rare- have a 2 year old and another in the oven so time is limited :)

Larry Gempp Jr.
from the west burbs(carol stream) so when playing around just local ponds away from houses. otherwise I run with a group of friends up in WI if I have time to make it up there which is rare- have a 2 year old and another in the oven so time is limited :)

A 2 yr old and one on the way- Might as well sell me the boat now, your done ;)

Kidding Brian, post a pic of the boat when you can, side and rear view....

Andy

HEY, I RUN A SURFACE DRIVE DEEP VEE AND MOST OF THE TIME IT HAS A S[PRAY PATTERN LIKE YOU SEE IN PICTURE. ALSO DEPENDS ON PROP STLYE

AND IF THE CUP AND EARS HAS BEEN MODDIFIED.IF THE EARS HAVE BEEN ROLLED OR "SPOONED" THAT WILL CONDENSE THE SPRAY PATTERN AND USUALLY THRUST THE BOAT FOWARD,FASTER OR AT LEAST THAT IS THE IDEA. BUT LIKE THE OTHERS SAY HERE, IF YOU ARE GOING FAST AND BOAT HANDLES WELL, TRY OTHER STUFF UNTIL IT EITHER GOES FASTER OR TILL IT FALLS OFF. GOOD LUCK,MIKE.

1/8" does seem like a lot, i used to go that far on full scale v hulls, when setting the jack plate up.

These things are micro finiky on strut adjustments (whether it be pos/neg or horizontal adjustments) It becomes a VERY fine line to just right or too much once you get it close pending the hull and its habits.

Somewhere :( floating around D3 is a 20 boat that has one VERY TRICK strut adjuster on it, rumor has it there is even a sheet that converts turns of the adjustors to degrees-

But I have never seen it :rolleyes:

Although I sure would like too have one........ ;)

Andy

Back