RESULTS Huntsville IMPBA records trials for October and November

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the unofficial results .

3.5 Sport Tunnel Oval - Mike Talley, 28.612 Sec, 41.940 MPH

A O/B Tunnel SAW - David Hall, 4.677 Sec, 48.107 MPH

A O/B Hydro SAW - David Hall, 4.832 Sec, 46.564 MPH

Twin Hydro Oval - Harry Gerhart, 20.509 Sec, 58.510 MPH

LS36 Catamaran Oval - Bob Finn, 26.741 Sec, 44.874 MPH

LS36 Catamaran SAW - Bob Finn, 3.828 Sec, 58.777 MPH

XLS36 Catamaran Oval - Bob Finn, 31.218 Sec, 38.439 MPH

XLS36 Catamaran SAW - Bob Finn, 4.041 Sec, 55.674 MPH

LS36 Mono Oval - Bob Finn, 27.134 Sec, 44.224 MPH
I really would like to see the IMPBA go to just listing the time, not MPH on the oval records. The MPH listing is completely misleading as it not a true reflection of the boat speeds. Even though "mathematically" it calculates out, it is based on a course line that is physically impossible to drive as it's plotted thru the centerline of the buoys. Just plot a course running lane #1 & see how much farther a total distance you are actually having to drive the boat. When we set the D hydro oval record 2 years ago at a 2 lap time of 17.2 the boat was entering the turns right at 100mph. That's 8.6 seconds a lap folks, done with basically the same boat that went 109.9 two weeks earlier at SAW yet the record lists 69.4mph. And you look at Harry's 2 lap time of 20.5, that's just a tick over 10 seconds a lap, do you really think he did it with a 58.5mph boat? I can't tell you how many times after they read the oval MPH we hear people say things like "I can go that fast with my heat race boat". The "calculated" MPH takes away from the significance of the oval records in my opinion.

And BTW- congrats to all who set a record. B)
Don you are very right as to the MPH makes it look like a slow boat. But it is just a average speed just like any other race course. Look at the speeds for the two lap qualifer in Nascar.

Mark
But that's just it Mark, it's based on a path that is impossible to drive as the measured course is plotted thru the centerline of the buoys. In 2000 when John (Finch) set the F hydro oval record driving Kentley Porter's boat, he was radared repeatedly going into the corners at well over 100 coming out of the turns at 98mph yet the record says 72.3mph. Nowhere on the course during those record runs was the boat ever close to going that slow except for maybe when he was coming around to bring it in. ;)

OK, so a perfect driver will drive around the course no more than 2 feet between the center of the boat and the center of the buoy.

Harrys record would be the following:

the 1/3 mile course goes to .3380598 miles.

His record of 58.510 would now be 59.35mph.

Doesn't change much.

OK, so a perfect driver will drive around the course no more than 2 feet between the center of the boat and the center of the buoy.

Doesn't change much.
Do you think at any time during those 2 laps that Harry was only going 58mph? That's the point. Yes I know the math adds up but in reality the boat is going much faster. ;)

Stick a GPS in the thing. As I understand they make them VERY small now.. Yes it won't be a true average speed but you will know what the FASTEST attained MPH is. :D

Stick a GPS in the thing. As I understand they make them VERY small now.. Yes it won't be a true average speed but you will know what the FASTEST attained MPH is. :D
And that will be of exactly what use? :blink: MPH or seconds, either is a relative guide to how long it took to run the laps. I think Don's point is that since MPH is based on a distance that's impossible to drive, why not just post the times.

Doesn't change much.
Do you think at any time during those 2 laps that Harry was only going 58mph? That's the point. Yes I know the math adds up but in reality the boat is going much faster. ;)

Sure felt faster than that and i was nowhere close to 2 feet off the buoys most of the time

there was a few times that i did get close, as a matter of fact I passed that #2 buoy 2 times and the buoy just blow apart LOL

I think the buoys were rotten

I know i didnt hit them ???? :D :D :D

I'm with Harry. The bouys exploded. We never hit them during the runs. LOL We wore them smooth out!

Back