Repairing big holes in Glass boats...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Hi All,

I am looking for the best and cleanest way to repair a hole which was punched into the side of my boat. It is about 2" wide X 1" high now that I have cut away all the loose materials

Cheers

Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I am looking for the best and cleanest way to repair a hole which was punched into the side of my boat. It is about 2" wide X 1" high now that I have cut away all the loose materials

Cheers

Kris
My answer LOL! Have Peter Mueler fix it! I know he is in Florida and you are down under so no help to ya.

Hi All,

Cheers

Kris
kris use lite ply on the inside get all to fit up how you want it and it has to have a little hole in the ply for a bit of wire to hold it up to the area whilst your fav glue is setting.

then when you have all timber in place clean it up and prep the area for glass to build the hole area only to height . once you have done that sand some more area around the patch back ie the gel coat then lay glass over it. after all that rub it all back to fair it all in to the rest of the boat til your happy with it then paint it up . good as new .

Kris,

Is that your P Spec boat? Looks terminal - Build a new one and send the damaged one to me for free! Either that, or 5KG of body filler in the hole and 5KG of lead on the other side (just for balance of course )should do it! LOL

I'd use Waynes suggestion, use the lightest stuff you can get in there thru the hole as backing. Make sure you use a glue that is compatible with whatever the hull is made of (I'm assuming it's polyester), then a layup of glass over the top, then some microballoon soup for final filling. Sand it then paint it. Job done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody Louise, can't believe my boat (driven by the wife) hit MY own boat LOL

Appreciate the help Wayne + Tim, that is pretty much what I expect to have to do, just wanted to make sure. I will use a 30min expoxy to glue the ply to the inside, should be sweet.

Man I hate glasswork!!!!! Now I have to buy alot of materials for a small job ;)

Cheers

Kris

Don't buy all those materials, just send it up to me and buy yourself a new one! Can you tell I really like that boat :lol:

Does 30 minute epoxy stick to polyester? I never had any luck with that..... I guess it just has to hold the ply in place just long enough 'til the glasswork sets as the glass will bond to the wood also, and keep it permanently in place.

Don't buy all those materials, just send it up to me and buy yourself a new one! Can you tell I really like that boat :lol:

Does 30 minute epoxy stick to polyester? I never had any luck with that..... I guess it just has to hold the ply in place just long enough 'til the glasswork sets as the glass will bond to the wood also, and keep it permanently in place.
CA glue will to polyester ...bob

CA glue will to polyester ...bob
ca glue will stick to polyester...bob

Bloody Louise, can't believe my boat (driven by the wife) hit MY own boat LOL

Sorry, Kris

That is Funny, What did you do to your wife to make her run over you.

Cheers,

TB

Nothing Bill ;)

But you should see the other boat...left sponson is ripped right off. Lucky it WAS an old boat on its 2nd life as an FE. It was the boat I ran at the 07 Tunnel champs. Thats 2 dead FE tunnels from 2 races for her HAHAHA

PUT MASKING TAPE OVER OUTSIDE HOLE SAND INSIDE WIPE OFF WITH ACETONE LAY GLASS ON INSIDE PULL OFF TAPE WHEN DRY PAINT OR GEL NOT HARD TO DO GOOD LUCK GARY

hay kris i would glass the inside and buy some qcell powder you mix it with your resin .its lite and easy to sand its a fiberglass bog .

Latest posts

Back