removing tape residue from hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes the 3M # 5 work. The #5 tape is not a tape it is a film and is a OEM of the electric motor manufacture and repair industries. It is 1 mil Mylar film with a 1 mil silicone adhesive. The adhesive is what makes it work and I do not know of any other tape that uses this same adhesive. We use this tape in my business of repairing electric motors. Mainly dc armatures, it gives us very little build up between the beginning of the winding from the commutator bars to the ending of the winding that terminates back to the commutator. The insulating value of this tape is 10,000s volt per layer. I know that the tape is high in price but if you think that it is high you should pay my new copper magnetic wire or bearing bill. I have about 75, 100lbs buckets of new wire at about $10.00 per lb. And I keep more bearings on the shelves than the local bearing houses.

Lenny Blake gave me a tip on removing the 3M tape

Pull the tap straight up not side to side

It leaves no or very little residue

Works foe me

One more thing --don't leave the tape on for days or weeks

I have had this problem on fresh paint jobs. Just use a good car wax around the taping area polish off good and it should stop it.
"I have had this problem on fresh paint jobs."

We have sometimes run into the same thing over the years.

We just painted the boat that Jeremy is having an issue with. The weather has been cold and damp and the Klasskoat only had a few days drying time in this environment before it went into service. It's definitely the fresh paint that caused the problem. Jeremy is not having issues with the other boats that we finished for him.

I have used Goo gone and other adhesive removers to remove residue, no problems.. BUT.. since using 3M #5 (Grimracer, others) I have not had issues. (over 20 years now)

I do not leave tape on the boat after the weekend event is over...

Grim

80 grit 3m velcro backed sand paper disk and a grinder. grind it grind it... rub it rubit. Sorry dont have a real answer, brake cleaner soaked on a rag maybe?

Yea , the key is don't leave it on for more than 24 hrs.

3m tape that is. otherwise bullet proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the epoxy paint. We have the same problem on Rob's scale boat when I painted it with some hobby poxy recently. Tape residue is terrible on that, but the boats I painted with PPG concept have no issues with the same role of tape.

Use Johnson's Paste wax to rub down the lid prior to putting the lid on and it will cure the problem. You have to wax it every time as the tape will pull off the wax residue every time you take it off.

Latest posts

Back