removing tape residue from hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyEdge

Hey Guys,

I have a nasty build up of tape residue from my radio box tape.

I have used degreaser, alcohol, break cleaner, wd-40, acetone, mineral spirits and none seem to to the trick.

Any ideas besides what is already mentioned.

Jeremy, try GooGone or GoofOff.

Lay a paper towel over the area to be cleaned, pretty much saturate the paper towel with the cleaner. Let it sit for 1/2 hour or so then rub it clean.

Then clean with denatured Alkey

Yeah, sounds like you might want to change tape if its that bad. I use the 3M stuff from Otto and it doesn't leave much residue at all. I only use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the box before putting the tape on.

Taping onto a clear coated surface will hold less glue residue than an epoxy or gel coated one as well.

Brian

ITS good ole 3M tape, same stuff i have always used, just for some reason on this paint it just sticks!

Hey Jeremy, goo-gone to remove. And using a good boat wax on the surface prior to taping can help to keep this from reoccurring.

All else fails roll into a snot with your thumb.
default_biggrin.png
Clean leftover with acetone. Been there done that.
default_laugh.png

3M makes more then one style of tape have to make sure it is the residue free you pay more but worth it i dont know if Jerry has it but Ed Mazzola on here sells it

Last edited by a moderator:
My epoxy coated boats do the same thing. No matter what tape. I ended up sanding the epoxy down pretty good to get the tape to stop sticking. There is something about epoxy that makes the tape stick. I use an orange based decal remover when the tape residue won't come off. It still is a messy job getting it off. I might try the wax on my twin, or paint it.

John

I have had this problem on fresh paint jobs. Just use a good car wax around the taping area polish off good and it should stop it.

There was a post on the various versions of 3M tape we use for our boats by (I THINK...) Mike Z./grimracer. One of the part #'s would leave residue on some surfaces, while another # would not leave residue on those same surfaces. It stated that there was NO one part # 3M tape that would not leave residue on ALL surfaces. You needed to choose the appropriate tape according to what type surface you were using it on. I tried searching for the post, but no luck. Maybe grimmie will chime in.

Latest posts

Back