radio box tape lifting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Elder

I am noticing that on my JAG 21 the radio box tape is lifting after a few runs. I have tried clear hockey tape and the specialty 3m tape (the really thin stuff).

After a day's runs, I clean my boats with dish soap and water to get rid of any dirt and fuel residue and dry everything. Around the radio box area I use some all purpose spray cleaner as well and then let that area dry. Before heading to the pond I tape up.

After a few runs, the tape seems to start to lift up and will let some water in. Once I am at the pond I don't dare try and retype because the top of the box is all slick with residue from the fuel.

Has anyone else had this issue? Suggestions?

Get yourself a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and wipe the surface off real good.

The hockey tape does leave a sticky edge, so you may want to clean the whole surface with acetone.

how much surface area does the tape have to stick to. Does the lid fit down properly, or is it warped up on a corner?

Spray bottle of denatured alcohol is the key.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Coleman fuel (white gas) as it disolves adhesives better and leaves little or no residue. A 320 grit finish will also provide micro grouves for better adhesion.

Mic

Get yourself a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and wipe the surface off real good.

The hockey tape does leave a sticky edge, so you may want to clean the whole surface with acetone.

how much surface area does the tape have to stick to. Does the lid fit down properly, or is it warped up on a corner?
There isn't a ton of surface to stick down to but all the kits are that way. The lid is a little warped but not badly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried cleaning with alcohol first then carefully taping with the 3m stuff. Then I ran a few pieces of the hockey tape over top from side to side in about 4 places for better support. It held up better than before.

I guess with this boat i am just going to have to be more dilligent.

One thing I've had problems with in this area, is the heat. The temperatures we've had outside latley will expand the air in your radio box, and force the lid up, pealing your tape off. Drill a small hole in your radio box lid, say a 1/4", to relieve the pressure. just tape over the hole just before you run.

Steve Ball

I had a problem in the heat where the tape just didnt want to stick... i guess the heat was too much... so for the most part i try and make sure my boats are taped as much as possible before going to the water.

I hadn't thought about the heat thing. I has been crazy hot and humid here this summer and I usually tape up in my cool basement before I leave for the pond.

I had the same problem,Idid a light scuffing with sos pad and that helped.My clear coat is slick as a babys bottom.

The small hole to let it breathe is also what I do. I also wipe down with denatured alcohol immediately before applying the tape. I also cover my boat with a white towel while it is on the starting table or under my tent, just to help keep it cool.

The small hole to let it breathe is also what I do. I also wipe down with denatured alcohol immediately before applying the tape. I also cover my boat with a white towel while it is on the starting table or under my tent, just to help keep it cool.
Great Advice!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, when you tape radio box early,like a.m. or night before, with rise in temps, expansion has an effect.

I would opp for smaller 1/8th inch holes, say 3 or 4 , over large 1/4 inch hole in radio box lid, then tape

holes just prior to racing.

Back