Removing Black coating from a pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyEdge

Just like the title.

Can you remove the black coating on a pipe and if so what do you use? A chemical? or Sanding?

And if you should not remove the coating why?

If is an aluminum pipe it is probably either powder coated or anodized. I have taken in batches of pipes to be black powercoated which holds heat better in the pipe. Acts as an insulator and you can run a richer mixture. More fuel more power. To remove either you need to grind or sand which will also remove material off the pipe. Leave it black would be my advice.

Mic

If is an aluminum pipe it is probably either powder coated or anodized. I have taken in batches of pipes to be black powercoated which holds heat better in the pipe. Acts as an insulator and you can run a richer mixture. More fuel more power. To remove either you need to grind or sand which will also remove material off the pipe. Leave it black would be my advice.

Mic
I agree, I see no benifit in removing it, and lots of benifits leaving it on.

if you're set on removing it, easy-off oven cleaner will remove anodizing, but not powdercoating.

Well I am leaving it on,

Now hodo you repair the scratches and areas missing the coating?

I have painted gas pipes with header coating and it bakes on very well in an oven, Doing the same for nitro it looked good till it got nitro on it, and it will. What a mess, black residue on your hands and everything else. Powdercoat is the best way on a nitro pipe.

Mic

Bake it @ 400 degrees for an hour and Nitro will not touch it. Don't recommend using the kitchen oven ...

No need for an oven ... stick a hot-air-gun in it .... that will do the trick.

Image014.jpg

Hammerite or RustOleum BBQ-paint is what I use.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have a plain aluminum pipe with baked on gook you can easily clean this off with an sos or brillo pad. it also polishes the pipe.

Back