REK OB Lower Units

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
larry, is your power fe or nitro ? fe can mount differently than nitro motors. maybe why there's some confusion about what stripped out on yours. i never tried sheet metal screws, just figured the vibration of nitro motors would cause issues. fe's MUCH smoother, would work there ok, imo.
Robin,

Nitro. I have a Mac on it right now, I haven't run the lower unit yet....so many boats so little time. I drilled and tapped mine for 4-40 like a K&B lower, when I tightened up the motor two of them would stay loose so I just used longer bolts and lock nuts.

Larry

DOH! You guys are screwing me up. Because your posting in the FE group I thought you are talking about the FE setup. On the nitro setup I tap the flange just like the K&B. But since guys like to crank down on them, I suggest to run longer 4-40 bolts and add a lock nut. If you don't want to do that , the holes can be Helicoiled to preserve the threads.

Richard

Mark,

The current lower units cost $29.95, if I go with this new material, it is looking like $41.95. For the FE motor mount $6.95, new material $9.75.

Richard

Mark,The current lower units cost $29.95, if I go with this new material, it is looking like $41.95. For the FE motor mount $6.95, new material $9.75.

Richard

Hell if that is all they will cost and made out of better material. I say go for it. I'll try one for that price. "Hint" I will even be a test pilot for them! Himt Hint :D :D :D

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
DOH! You guys are screwing me up. Because your posting in the FE group I thought you are talking about the FE setup. On the nitro setup I tap the flange just like the K&B. But since guys like to crank down on them, I suggest to run longer 4-40 bolts and add a lock nut. If you don't want to do that , the holes can be Helicoiled to preserve the threads.Richard
The thread is in the FE group! :D Larry

If you want any ideas on improvements to the lower end:

A machined screw to hold the motor mount plate to the lower end. Especially since I use an old Octura mount. I modded the head of the main mounting pint to fit inside the 2 assembled. The helicoil idea would be great.

I also noticed that on my flex cable some seperation on on the windings. This is possibly due tp the high torque of the A/C motor. Start ups can sometimes be a bit harsh. So I can not say this is due to the lower end itself. But if the angle of the motor to the drive was slightly less (maybe 2-3 deg not anywhere near as drastic as the Lawless unit) the breakin would be easier on the flex I am betting that there would be a slight increase in top end speed. I understand from Richard that this would be a total overhaul of the tooling and would need to be a completely new unit so I have no great expectations for it. Take no offense Rich.

Overall though what you offer for the price is outstanding. An even stronger unit though...sure!

Alan,

If you are using a different pivot mount than the one I sell, then you would use a standard 3/16 pin and I don't reem the hole all the way threw so the pin is captured under the motor mount. The reason I use the sheet metal screws is that it is easier and keeps the price down a little.

I don't under stand the separation issue, considering that the cable tightens as it spins.

On the angle, you say slightly less angle, which is what the K&B is( no angle) Lawless is 14 deg. and mine is 7 deg. any more and I feel it swings the motor to much. Just my preference. The slight angle is to relax the flex shaft to reduce stress.

I am counting the those interested for the stiffer material. I got to see 30 or more to break even.

Richard

Rich,

I did not mean to say that your unit is the cause of the cable seperation. It is very mild. I believe it is mostly from rough startups not becouse of the bend.

Once the flex is broken in there is very little strain on the drive. This is just me being A/R. If you kept making them the same way (mat'l and design) I would still buy one. I have recommended them to others.

Alan,

Don't worry no offense taken. I am just trying to get better understanding on what ever problems are experienced so I can work on improvement. I appreciate the feed back, you would be surprised at how many people will have problems and not mention them to me.

Thanks again for the feed back,

Richard

Back