Help with water pick up on REK lower unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John MacLean

I posted in the hydro forum and someone suggested placing this here instead. I am in the process of finishing a FE kneeler hydro build and am looking for ideas re: a water pick up for the REK lower unit I bought from a buddy last summer for this build. Although I've seen pics of such set ups with what seems like a water pick up drilled through the cavitation plate there are currently no holes drilled in the lower unit and this is my first outboard and first build. I know there are many experienced builders on this site and would appreciate their input.

Thanks

REK 003.JPG

Piece of 1/8 brass tube, drill through the boss on the tail of the cav plate a little super-glue and done. You actually could just use a short tube cut at an angle under the cav plate and just enough up top to slip a fuel line on.

Mic

the pic mic posted is right on! i have had isues with getting epoxy the grip the rek material well. i solder a small brass plate to the pick up tube, & screw/bolt it to the cav. plate. just a small plate, with 2 holes, 1 for the tube & 1 for the mounting.

hey mic, turn that prop around, so we can see what JG # you're running............

I've drilled the cavitation plate and cut a small, straight piece of bass tub to use as the pick up. I cut the underside of the tube on a 45 as in the example. Everything fits nicely in place. How much upwards force is exerted on the pick up at speed? I hadn't expected to encounter any isses holding the brass tubing in place.

rough the tube & the hole up well & glue it in. if it won't hold, then use my idea......

Back