OS OB Lower unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Elder

I don't know how I did it but I seem to have messed up the thread in the lower unit. Anyone know what type of tap I would need to try and clean the threads up ?

Should I just buy another lower part with the threads in it?

Can you not get it started? I know this is unlikely, but are you by chance trying to thread it in the wrong way? As they are reverse thread. Worth a mention atleast before spending money if not need be

I don't know how I did it but I seem to have messed up the thread in the lower unit. Anyone know what type of tap I would need to try and clean the threads up ?

Should I just buy another lower part with the threads in it?
I would look closely at the prop shaft threads. They are very soft. I've seen this a couple times and both times it was the prop shaft. I learned to clean and grease the threads carefully before reassembly.

I don't know why it came loose or why the theads seemed to get messed up (I do know that it is a left hand thread but it was certainly worth pointing out). I have ordered new parts and will follow your advice carefully, Mike.

I don't know why it came loose or why the theads seemed to get messed up (I do know that it is a left hand thread but it was certainly worth pointing out). I have ordered new parts and will follow your advice carefully, Mike.
Cool! Im always hesitant to mention it, because some people take it the wrong way. But I myself have even caught myself a few times, so figure its atleast worth a mention :)

That thread is a real odd ball. The taps can be bought but they are around $80.00 each. They are not stocked at any of the supply places. They are made to order. I know I have checked into them. If you have an old prop shaft assembly. Tapper the first few threads and file some groves along the length of them. Basically you are making a thread cleaner/tap.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back