reduce 1/8 scale to sport 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Flynn

Hi guys.

I have a question and I hope it don't sound to dumb.

I bought a set of Newton plans and I wont to shrink them down to sport 20 size. Is there a formula for this or can someone tell me how much to reduce them.

Thanks for help

Terry

Terry,

To get the % of ratio you need to reduce them by divide the length that you want the sport 20 to be by the length of the boat on the full size drawing

example: 30 divided by 43 = .70 (rounded off) 43 x .70=30.1"

You should have a Kinko's locally or close by, take the plan to them and ask them to help you reduce it to 70% and presto you have a set of smaller plans. Here in the Baton Rouge area they charge about 66 cents a square foot to copy & reduce large drawings.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that you will want to redraw the bulkheads to make the engine well 4 inches wide. should be only 1/4 inch on each side 5 x .70 = 3.5 If the original plan had a 5 inch engine well.

What scale boat are you working with?

P THOMAS said:
Remember that you will want to redraw the bulkheads  to make the engine well 4 inches wide.  should be only 1/4 inch on each side  5 x .70 = 3.5    If the original plan had a 5 inch engine well.
What scale boat are you working with?

84386[/snapback]

It's the U-10 Winston Eagle 1989, Plan #157

Terry Flynn said:
[It's the U-10 Winston Eagle 1989, Plan #157

84446[/snapback]

Is that the rigger style? In sport 40 that is not an allowed hull but if you want to build a 20 its up to you, knowing that when IMPBA sport20 rules come out it wont be allowed to race.

I was afraid of that. I was reading the rules for the internats and it said on rigger or modified rigger or canard hulls. but it also says that Hull must be a 3 point hydro configuration and resemble a limited or an unlimited hydro. that's what this boat is. it's not a rigger that someone made to resemble a hydro? Just my opinion. Not that it means anything :D

Terry Flynn said:
I was afraid of that. I was reading the rules for the internats and it said on rigger or modified rigger or canard hulls. but it also says that Hull must be a 3 point hydro configuration and resemble a limited or an unlimited hydro. that's what this boat is. it's not a rigger that someone made to resemble a hydro? Just my opinion. Not that it means anything  :D
84564[/snapback]

Yes that is only for this years internats they want to cover someone that may have a boat to run. The rule proposal for sport20 hydro is posted on the forum.

Back