Receiver Packs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTR

Hi Guy's

What are you all using for receiver packs?

Size and number of cells

Capacity

Inquiring minds need to know.

GT ;D

Gary,

I use 5 cell NIMH 2300mah. I like the comfort of knowing my battery pack will keep giving, and giving, and giving...... :)

In the past I used 4 AA nicad. Now I am going to 5 1/3 AA NiMH I think they are 1400 ma.

-MikeP

I use different packs 4 and 5 cells but if I buy a new one now it would be a 5 cel nimh 1400+

nimh has the advantage that you can reload them anytime without having troubles with the memory effect

Hi guy´s.

To greater voltage, greater consume, more heat, more physical wear of the servos and not all the digital servos endure 6 volts, I have opted for using 4 cells sanyo 2800mAH NI-MH, last as some 4 constant hours of use.

Gatt.

Word to the wise on using NiMH packs...when one cell goes, the whole pack dumps...nada! With NiCd you can lose a cell and still have the power to stop your boat!

BTW, dry cells are still a great option! 6V from 4 cells.

Rick

I use the 5 cell mini sub "c" looking packs rated at about1400 to 2300 depending on the boat I'm running. For my DPI tunnels I use the very small 4 pack batteries because I have very little room for anything in the radio box.

GTR,

what are you using??

Hi Guy's

I use sub 'c' 4 & 5 cell packs

AA flat packs 5 cell

About to use new cells - I think 1/2A in 5 cell hump pack.

Have only used NiCds so far but I guess i will try NiMh for the increase capacity. I seem to be building packs to suit each hull as I run in to a space problem. LOL

GT ;D

Hi Rick,

I didn’t know that NIMH cells fail open. :- If so, this is bad JuJu. :-

Do you know if the mode of failure is an instant loss of voltage or if potential goes to Zero over a couple of seconds? If potential goes to zero over a few seconds, my PCM battery failsafes might catch it, and power down. (wishfull thinking)

Kevin Bulifant

just bringing this one back up, to see if anyone knows the answer.

wtf.gif

Hi Izit & everyone

All NiMh are modern - so I don't quite understand the comment. My limited understanding is when they go open circuit the do so instantly. There are probably some electric guy's floating around here that may be able to verify it one way or the other.

This is one reason why I have been using NiCd instead - but they have much lower capacity. You can of course charge them much faster than NiMh.

I would be interested in knowing the answer.

GT ;D

Yeah I like the charge advantage that they provide over the NiMh. I usually don't charge my stuff until the night before anyhow so it's gotta charge quick.

I use 5 cell "AA" NiCad’s 700 mAHr in all my race boats including my Sport 40 ,B Stock ,and the 45" Gas Mono. I run both Digital and standard servos up to just over 200 in/oz size and have never had any trouble related to batteries or servo. I usually charge my packs at a 60 mA rate over night. I do prefer the 5 cell packs over 4 cell as it improves the torque.

GTR,

according to my supplier only the first NIMH's did have that problem. Back then (say two years ago) you could not use them as receiverpacks. Right now everybody sells them as packs zo I guess it is true and possible now.

There is a lot going on in the accu industry. 5 years ago you would probably draw a lot of attention if you would have 3000 mA Nicads ;D

Hi Oscar,

I admit to not knowing a huge amount about batteries other than treat them right and they will look after you.

thanks

GT ;D

Yeah but what's the actual charging tme needed to fully load the pack or your radio?? I've left my JR-X3 with the NiMh batteries on for 24 hours and they barely took a full charge. Someone said at least 3 days is needed??

Back