Re Waterproof Radio Boxes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavinP

I am looking for several water proof radio boxes.They are for different boats and are different sizes.Can anyone give me a contact for a supplier of good water proof boxes in a variety of sizes.

Water entry let me down this summer on several boats so would like to replace with reliable boxes over the coming winter.

I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for them but also dont want water entry letting me down again.

What exactly happened? The reason I ask is there really isn't a 100% bullet-proof box out there. Most of the reliability is the method of sealing the pushrods, switch, antenna, ect. Usually the lid will seep some if using a foam surround. Would a small piece of damp sponge placed inside catch the drops or such that caused the problem? Some guys use a tampon if there is room to put one as a safety measure. There are also sprays out there that you can use on your reciever that will help make them water resistant without hurting them. Corrosion X is one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use quality tape, radio box tape, anbody can tell you where to get it. As for sealing up the holes in your radio box go to your local boat store and ask for the high grade marine sealant. Takes two or three days to seal up it's a lot better than silicone. Keep a lot of foam around to help absorb the water.

I am looking for several water proof radio boxes.They are for different boats and are different sizes.Can anyone give me a contact for a supplier of good water proof boxes in a variety of sizes.Water entry let me down this summer on several boats so would like to replace with reliable boxes over the coming winter.

I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for them but also dont want water entry letting me down again.

Also check your boots for leaks they will leak after a while i always keep putting ky gel on mine.

I have epoxyglass boxes with tape on clear plastic lids,, mono box 4x6 good for 20 boats and 5x6 good for 40-90 boats

I have the 5x6 box for the SuperSport45 hydro with a shaft tunnel and a couple front radio boxes for my soort 4- and scale boats.

They cost $25 each $10 for shipping

email me [email protected]

PHIL THOMAS

go to mouser.com

plug in following part #

546-1554H2GYCL

This is for as Hammond watertight enclosure 7.1 x 4.7 x 2.4

When you get to the part # then go to page 1674.

scroll down to lower left hand corner to get other sizes.

We have used this box for 2 years now with NO leakage whatever.

Many boaters in NAMBA District 1 are using it with fantastic results.

MAny sizes available. Cover seals with 4 screws. Has standoff plate to mount servos

can drill & glue rod seals in with great ease as walls are smooth

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for several water proof radio boxes.They are for different boats and are different sizes.Can anyone give me a contact for a supplier of good water proof boxes in a variety of sizes.Water entry let me down this summer on several boats so would like to replace with reliable boxes over the coming winter.

Years ago I used Tupperware, and rubber bands, in a 40 mono - it worked fine. There are a lot more sizes available now at the grocery stores, and lighter, and better sealing too. Just watch for fatigue cracks as it ages. I also put my reciever and battery in plastic baby bottle liners (Platex), and sealed with the twist tie, and put a couple of paper towels in the radio box, just in case, for any drips that might get in.

Dave

go to mouser.complug in following part #

546-1554H2GYCL

This is for as Hammond watertight enclosure 7.1 x 4.7 x 2.4

When you get to the part # then go to page 1674.

scroll down to lower left hand corner to get other sizes.

We have used this box for 2 years now with NO leakage whatever.

Many boaters in NAMBA District 1 are using it with fantastic results.

MAny sizes available. Cover seals with 4 screws. Has standoff plate to mount servos

can drill & glue rod seals in with great ease as walls are smooth
This would appear to be exactly what I am after and the different sizes means I can put them between the 3 1/2 rails fo my 3.5 Hydro which is the main culpret.

I have tried all types of radio box tape ,and water sealants on the lid and even used different types of silacon sealants arount the plexiglass lid and after appling double sided tape.The double sided tape obtained from Auto shops proving the best but it still leaked.I have been putting recievers and battery packs in Helium ballons put the servo's are the main let down.The main water entry point is the lid .On Scale boats I have completly fiberglassed the radio box area with two layers of glass matting and West system Epoxy and used the double sided auto tape on the plexiglass lid.These are water proff and haven't caused the problems .I will try their containers in my 3.5 Crapshooter and my Sports 40 Atlas Van Lines.

If you have any further details on how you folks set them up please email me at [email protected]

Years ago I used Tupperware, and rubber bands, in a 40 mono - it worked fine. There are a lot more sizes available now at the grocery stores, and lighter, and better sealing too. Just watch for fatigue cracks as it ages. I also put my reciever and battery in plastic baby bottle liners (Platex), and sealed with the twist tie, and put a couple of paper towels in the radio box, just in case, for any drips that might get in.

Dave
I thought about Tupperware containers but they now sell them by storage size rather then dimension size.I spoke to a locl tupperware agent and tried on line at the Tupperware website.If they gave actual dimensions rather than the amount they hold they could be useful.

Thanks for your imformation.The boxes appear similiar to the ones I have been making and using.I tried thoose initially and held them down with 3m Radio box tape but they leaked through the top.I then build several where I screwed the lids down over double sided auto tape.The screws going into 1/4 x 1/4 rails outside the box so any water through the screw holes went outside the radio box

Keeping your boat shaded while not being run will help also. The radio box tempurature goes way up in the sun and then when the water hits it all the air contracts and pulls water.

Back