"waterproof" servo's outside the box?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zimmerman

Supporting Member
It appears the advent of "waterproof" servo's has greatly eased the ever present problem of cramming everything into small radio boxes. Any thoughts on the best way to get those servo leads into the box while keeping it water proof and allowing relative ease of "field" replacement when one craps out?

Run a servo extension lead out of the radio box and then tape up the extension lead and servo lead. Seal the extension lead out of the radio box with silicone.

JD

As Jerry above has stated, I have a few boats done this way. The only thing i'll add, is I pack the connectors with dielectric grease.
Also, I do disassemble the servos and spray them with trio (good luck finding it) but Corrosion X works also.

I'm very interested in going this direction however wouldn't you still need to protect the batteries in something waterproof? Can you really get rid of the radio box?

I don’t think the OP was meaning to eliminate the box, just to reduce its contents and eliminate the vulnerable pushrod seals. Too, even with “waterproof” servos, the connector is still vulnerable. Most silicones are acidic which can damage the connectors, packing with grease makes more sense to me anyway. Eventually, water will find its way into almost anything.....

I'm very interested in going this direction however wouldn't you still need to protect the batteries in something waterproof? Can you really get rid of the radio box?
Sorry to say but my batteries get soaked most of the time. But as stated use diaelectric grease on connectors. I’ve never experienced a problem.

Back