Re chroming sleeves

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpmjunkee

I have an older o.s. on-road .21 with a worn out sleeve that I would like to have re chromed so I could drop it in a jae rigger.Actually I guess it would be chromed,not re chromed since it is an abn sleeve to begin with.Does anyone do this?Glen Dye used to but not anymore.The motor is a paperweight otherwise,since o.s. does not make replacements anymore.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Bill.

I have an older o.s. on-road .21 with a worn out sleeve that I would like to have re chromed so I could drop it in a jae rigger.Actually I guess it would be chromed,not re chromed since it is an abn sleeve to begin with.Does anyone do this?Glen Dye used to but not anymore.The motor is a paperweight otherwise,since o.s. does not make replacements anymore.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Bill.
To have good adhesion, I would think you need to strip the original nickel plating. That would be a challange as the etchant used to remove the nickel will also etch brass.

I have had small parts plated. Check your local yellow pages.

Kez

what model os? i might have a new rpm rod for it, if you're interested. is the nickel flaking off? if not, you could also get the sleeve 'squeezed', to restore the pinch & compression. get in touch with steve wood on this site about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
what model os? i might have a new rpm rod for it, if you're interested. is the nickel flaking off? if not, you could also get the sleeve 'squeezed', to restore the pinch & compression. get in touch with steve wood on this site about it.
Thanx everyone.I will look into the people mentioned.As I recall the sleeve looks fine other than being wrong dimensionally.I am going to pull the motor down and inspect it again.I saw that liner squeezer and I think I might give it a try.Why O.S. puts abn sleeves in performance motors is beyond me.And a .21 on road motor at that.You know anyone buying a motor like that is going to run at least 35% nitro through it.There,I feel better.Oh by the way,I believe it is an ex-r.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's the motor I think it is, the Thunder Tiger Outboard engine piston and liner fits it, and is ABC. The sleeve timings are conservative, but nothing some adjusting can't fix.

If it's the motor I think it is, the Thunder Tiger Outboard engine piston and liner fits it, and is ABC. The sleeve timings are conservative, but nothing some adjusting can't fix.
I will have to mic the critical dims. on the O.S. and see if the Thunder Tiger will work.Thanx for the heads up.I had a chance to buy a used Hurco mill for a very good price a while back but did'nt think I had enough use for it to justify the expense.I'm thinking I should have jumped on it.Would make problems like this much easier to deal with.Bill

I tried to find it for you, some one was turning down OS ABC sleeves to fit the OS outboards, I have no idea what will work for but he was selling brand new for only 90bucks in the F/S section.Seemed to have a wealth of knowledge on the subject and would mod them as well.At that price he seems super fair.Maybe he can hook you up with something.

Last edited:
I tried to find it for you, some one was turning down OS ABC sleeves to fit the OS outboards, I have no idea what will work for but he was selling brand new for only 90bucks in the F/S section.Seemed to have a wealth of knowledge on the subject and would mod them as well.At that price he seems super fair.Maybe he can hook you up with something.
That was Kris Flynn on the outboard forum on page one still.

Latest posts

Back