RC Boat Company U-50 scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always contact RC boat and talk to them. Like every one says comers that are in the water must be SHARP and SQUARE!!!!! outherwise it will suck the boat down. Most hulls will need to have the corners squared.

Brad

Brad I understand what you are saying I think RC Boat Company could supply an instruction sheet with the hull. I have been on the phone with Steve many times just to get the cowl to fit. I paid a lot of money for what I received and I am not very happy with a boat I am now stuck with. I would have sold the boat but the paint job and decals that are on the boat are very personal to me so is the boat will never run it will sit on my shelf for ever. I have a lot of very good guys willing to help get this boat right. I guess I am very disheartened because over half the season is gone and I still have not made 3 laps with this hull. I had Larry paint the boat as a rush job trying to get it ready for our first race here in June. Now I can count on one hand how many races are left that I can get to and I won't be running scale at any one of they. I hope with all the help I can have a drivable competitive boat for next season.

Most boats are not plug & play deals , 1/8 scales are really a boat an boat for good knowledgable person who knows what it takes to make them right besides the manufacturer of the boat. ( nothing against you for your build) but maybe you should have squared it all up corrected the rounded edges before it did go for paint. Setup board & rolled turn fin , put a straight fin on it to eliminate it til it starts going then put back on if it really needs it , set it up on a board like it has been said previously.

Guys this boat has only Accu tech hardware its exactly what Steve told me to order. I am saying for the price you would think there could be atleast a basic set up sheet. I got a hull in a box with a cowl that was no where near fitting properly and a list of hardware to order.

I hear what you are saying George that it is very disheartening to pay alot of money and have a boat that won't run. I don't know how much boating experience you have but a scale is not a good starting boat. A mono usually has instructions on what hardware to buy, mounting location, trimming instructs and what prop to run. Riggers are usually built by someone or you build yourself and there are instruction for building and setup. But the thing is they all can run better with experience and running lots of time. All I can tell you is that you have to try to run it more even with a smaller prop or longer pipe to get it to start to work It would be a shame to just stick it on the shelf.

Brad

Gosh George, I really think you're beating Steve up unfairly here. These are not the same "ready to run" toy boats you would buy at the hobby store. Those certainly are available and maybe you'd be happier with one of those instead.

If you'd ever been involved with the process of building a plug, making a mold, and laying up fiberglass parts you'd realize that Steve's hulls, cowlings, and other accessories are dirt cheap compared to the time and effort they take to produce.

Now about your boat... As many others have said, race boats are hard to set up. Dang crazy hard sometimes. I've built some that worked great right out of the box, and I've built some that I was never fully happy with even after great effort over many months. It's hard man.

Look, you've had some offers of hands on help and you need to take it. You'll discover that very good, highly experienced boaters struggle with it just as you have, but stick with it and you'll get it eventually.

But please, stop putting Steve down. He's my friend, and he's a good guy doing great good for our hobby. Let's keep it friendly and fun, ok?

I have to agree with Scott on this one. I've only dealt with Steve once but, at that time, he came across as someone that not only cares about the sport but one that tries to put out a good product. As far as a cowl fitting a boat, they are normally made slightly oversized so that they can be trimmed down for a good fit. Personally, I prefer having to trim parts down as that's much easier than having to add material later

I understand you what you guys are saying and Steve is your friend. I am going to work with my local friends to get this boat running right. I never expected the boat to be RTR. I guess I expected more than I got in many ways but expecting the cowl to fit the boat properly I don't think was out of the norm for a fiberglass boat kit. I have built 9 other boat kits from monos to hydros the set ups were always a challenge I get that. On the other hand the boats fit together properly. I have been frustrated with this boat since I first got it in February it just all coming out now. I am sorry if you all figure I am being unfair to your friend but I don't think my expectations are unfair or abnormal.

I wouldn't call Steve a friend as I've only dealt with him once. I would call him a businessman who is selling a product as well as a service.

As far as the fit of FG parts, I've never seen parts that just, more or less, fall together in the way you're looking for. I have a couple of cowls from R/C Sportcraft, two from RCBC and one from Logan Unlimited and not one will just drop onto a boat right out of the box. This is actually normal since many people that build boats build from wood and not one is the same. By leaving extra material on the cowls, they can be sanded to fit the deck curve rather than having to build up the edges to meet the deck. Unless you order a boat that is RTP and only needs the hardware installed, having a cowl that must be trimmed is the norm rather than the exception. As far as rounded corners, that's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of FG boats. A bit of epoxy or poly resin and filler will build up the corners but it's still a hassle to get them sharp

A scale is a different animal to put together and get right then a hydro or mono get with Steve and Rick some of the best scale guys out there to help you

One thing I keep reading is what the boat means to you on a personal note. A very very wise boater said to me once " If you're not willing to lose it don't race it." Think about what is being said. This is why his 7-11 is on the shelf retired and I am racing something another friend calls a "race boat". Anyways have fun or at least try to and always remember 'Never Quit" quitting is easy.

Don the story of the boat is...The paint scheme was only run once the way I have it painted in San Diego. The race team was selling to the crowd the chance to put your name one one of the stars. Thru research I could not determin what those names were. So The names I used are all deceased veterans that I have known personally or are known to friends of mine. I did this to honor their memories and theis service to our country. There is other stars for veterans of all services that I did not know to honor their service. As far as racing it goes the boat can get repainted and the stars replaced if need be due to an accident. I own all race boats and race agressively. Out of the 6 boats I currently own this is the only one I would not sell. Thats the personal connection

George

George I got to sign one of the Stars there in San Diego. There were asking for the fans to help pay for the fuel needed to run in the next heat. So if you gave you got to sign a star of your choosing..We put our Dist Logo and our names. I like what you did as to puting names of the Vets.. As a Vet my self I take my hat off to you..God Bless you.

Roy if you have any old pic of the boat that day I would love it if you could pass them along. There are Five Stars for the different branches of the military logos to honor all who could not be named. Thank You for the kind words and for your service Sir. God Bless

Back