RC Boat Company U-50 scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeAlbrecht

I guess it my aggravation talking but this is the worst running hydro I have ever seen. The boat wont turn left at all, in the straights it bounces all over on calm water, right turns are horrible can't even hold lane 10 and with more rudder input the boat hooks. With slight left the motor stalls and out of no where at about 3 laps the motor just dies. I don't have a lot of experience with hydro's and that is probably the biggest problem. I have driven a scale in the past and it was not this bad in fact it turned very well either way and way very fast. I am thinking just putting this boat on the shelf. I would sell it but the paint scheme is very personal to me so I can't sell the boat. I am at a total loss on where to go from here.

The CG is right at 50% front to rear and this is about 2" behind the turn fin. I only have pics of the boat on the stand I have not had it run long enough to get on the water pics

20150525_151646.jpg

First off is there a local club you can go to? There will be alot of information there and people willing to help you out to get it running!! It looks like a very nice boat!! Turn fin may be too small and the CG should be more closer to 1'' behind the front sponson rear bulkhead. Fuel pickup could be in the wrong location. Don't shelve it, get with some people to help you and race it!!

Brad

Brad I am a member of the Wisconsin Badgers and have people I am privileged to call friends in two other clubs. I am getting help from all the locals when I have time to get to the pond. I am just so frustrated with this boat. The paint job was done by Larry RcPainter on here and looks far better than it performs. I don't want to continue to be a burden to my friends trying to get a boat running that may never run properly. I have never seen boat that is this difficult to get to run properly

Brad I am a member of the Wisconsin Badgers and have people I am privileged to call friends in two other clubs. I am getting help from all the locals when I have time to get to the pond. I am just so frustrated with this boat. The paint job was done by Larry RcPainter on here and looks far better than it performs. I don't want to continue to be a burden to my friends trying to get a boat running that may never run properly. I have never seen boat that is this difficult to get to run properly
It took me 3 years to get my scale running properly. Just get some more lake time.

Samuel I really did not want to hear that. I really want to race this boat but my time is so limited I really only get it to the pond like twice a month. I realize that's not enough but its what I have. I have other boats that I am racing so I fear unless a boat fairy comes and takes this boat and makes it run I will be working on it for years.

After the return from paint did you blueprint the bottom of the boat? All the corners must be sharp so water will not stick to them

No the bottom surfaces were never sharp even Larry mentioned that the hull was very poorly built when is came to the running surfaces

Samuel I really did not want to hear that. I really want to race this boat but my time is so limited I really only get it to the pond like twice a month. I realize that's not enough but its what I have. I have other boats that I am racing so I fear unless a boat fairy comes and takes this boat and makes it run I will be working on it for years.
Don't get discouraged. Just takes time. I found turn fin and strut depth where my biggest issues.

Georgem

Sorry to hear you had another rough test session. I wish i could have been there to help.

Did you remove your low speed needle? I think it is dying because the CMB low speed needle is not set right. It can be removed completely. I did it last season and never looked back.

Like Mike S stated to make sure the corners are square/sharp to shed water. Dont worry about the paint job on the bottom. Time to turn it into a race boat!!

What length rudder do you have? This may need to be looked at for spinning out when you need more rudder throw. It may be actually acting as a brake.

The hopping may me your strut angle or depth.

Many things to change and test -one change at a time.

Stay positive buddy. The rewards are worth the time testing.

Duke

Thanks Duke I do wish you were there. You have always been a great help. I am working on so many issues but its dyeing at full throttle so I don't think the low needle is an issue but I will get it out. We will have to get together to get all this other stuff figured out

George,

With that newer CMB, I think there may be a clearance issue on the drum. There is a thread on IW about it. Not sure, but this may be a cause of engine issues too??

Duke

All of the rc boat company hulls that I have seen and driven were very good boats. There are a few in the pacific northwest that have won many races. I have personally driven a dewalt scale from rc boat company here in our club and it goes around the corners like its on rails and is as fast as anything in our club. Everything has to be straight, turn fin, etc. Looks like your turn fin is angled out at the rear and will cause mega problems but maybe its an optical illusion. Not too many scales will turn left very well, only minor corrections. The rc boat company hull should be set up as per instructions with their hardware.

The CG is right at 50% front to rear and this is about 2" behind the turn fin. I only have pics of the boat on the stand I have not had it run long enough to get on the water pics
Hey George

I don't mean to butt in just wanted to say, if I was in your boots, the first thing I would do is set the boat up on a perfectly flat table and check, first that the hull is not warped. Second that all the ride surfaces of the sponsons are at the correct angle and third that the strut is at the correct height and angle. From there as the Guys have said change CG positions, props, turn fin position and angle, etc. Joe P.S. Square all the underside to sharp edges, I don't think that is causing your current problems but if you want it to go fast when you do get it worked out, this is a total must.

Rob unfortunately there were no instructions at all with the boat or hardware that's where the problems started.

Joe I am going to do just that this week and see what I have got flatness wise.

Stu also told me I have one of the drum intakes that need to be lapped to give it more clearance. That should keep the boat running long enough to get some of the other conditions works out

George

Bring the scale down to our pond and we will see if we can get it running. Check all of the other things that the others said first. Make sure the bottom is flat first. Give me a call. KENNY

Thanks Kenny I have some things to work out before I waste more time at the pond but I will make another trip down there soon

Latest posts

Back