Radio Technical Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

I have one of the new Futaba Telemetry Radios. I read in my manual that the settings for Digital and Analog Servos is different.

I have been running a digital rudder servo and analog throttle and mixture servos. I had the transmitter set at TFH high and have had some failures

of the throttle and mix servos.

What I need to know is it correct to mix digital and analog servos in the same boat. If not, WHY?

Should I order analog micro servos rather than try to use the micro digitals?

I have one of the new Futaba Telemetry Radios. I read in my manual that the settings for Digital and Analog Servos is different.

I have been running a digital rudder servo and analog throttle and mixture servos. I had the transmitter set at TFH high and have had some failures

of the throttle and mix servos.

What I need to know is it correct to mix digital and analog servos in the same boat. If not, WHY?

Should I order analog micro servos rather than try to use the micro digitals?
Not knowing which Futaba you have I am sure there is a modulation setting that you should use if you have any analog servos and a different modulation setting for all digital. I do know on the 3PK that you must use PPM setting if you have any analog servos and HRS if you have all digital. If you use HRS with an analog servo you will kill that servo.

Look in your book for modulation setting for use with analog servos.

I should also add that when swithcing from one modulation to the other on the 3PK you have to turn the radio off then on again so the new setting is set.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Ron said, not knowing what radio you're using, this may or may not apply. This C&P is from the 4PLS instruction manual:

￸ When using the T4PLS in the T-FHSS (HIGH) and S-FHSS (HIGH) mode, always use it under the following conditions:

Servos :Futaba digital servo (including BLS Series brushless servos)

Receiver’s battery :Matched to the ratings of the receiver and connected digital servo (dry cell battery cannot be used).

Transmitter mode :RX MODE (See p.29 for setting method.) Under other conditions, the set will not operate, or the specified performance will not be displayed even if it operates. In addition, it may cause servo trouble. Futaba will not be responsible for damage, etc. caused by combination with the products of other companies. In addition, the FSU Fail Safe Unit cannot be used because the system is different. Use the fail safe function of the transmitter. ￸ When using analog servos, always switch the T4PLS servo response to the "NORM" mode.

Transmitter mode :"T-FHSS(NORM)", "T-FHSS(NORM)"and FHSS mode (See p.29 for setting method.)

Receiver’s battery :Matched to the ratings of the receiver and connected servo (dry cell battery cannot be used). The set cannot operate in the "HIGH" mode. Operation in this mode will cause trouble with the servo and other equipment. Digital servos (including BLS Series brushless servos) can also be used in the "NORM" mode.

Was just looking at the owners manual for the 4PX. I found it to be very similar to the 4PLS but,unfortunately, there is a difference:

Always use the R304SB/R304SBE-E under the following conditions:

Transmitter receiver type :"T-FHSS

Receiver type: Digital servo type :Futaba digital servo

Receiver type: Analog servo type :Futaba all servo

Note: However, digital servos(including BLS brushless servo) can only be used in the "Digital servo type"

I couldn't C&P this so I hand typed the relevant information from the Caution box at the bottom of page 31

BLS servos can be used in analog. Using a BLS451 for years in ppm setting.

You will need to go thru your manual and find out how to set to PPM. The signal in HRS will cause any analog servo to fail do to the signal. I thought i read where the 4px was switchable by channel if it was analog or digital could be wrong on this. If not set it for PPM. This setting will be specific to that model only. Needs to be set for each new model you run

Analog servos should be used with PPM otherwise they will fail. No ifs ands and buts about it.

Digital servos can be used with PPM and HRS mode (These are the selections for the 3PKS).

Never a problem to mix servo type's other than you are not going to get the most benefit of having a faster response capable system.

On new telemetry radio's if either is analogue then the receiver mode must be set to NORM.

You can only use HIGH if all servo's are digital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back