radio box tape

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outboardman10 said:
I use the hocky tape and am not very impressed.  It will keep water out unless it is submerged.  I sank my boat for about 15 min and it did not work.  other than that it has not had water inside.  I still have not tried 3m tape yet!

87799[/snapback]

Keep yur stick on the ice, eh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, I've tried the aluminum tape used on water coolers, it works so-so, vut if your boat dies and submerges into the water, Fah-get about it!

Ron

They don't know what they are getting into. 3M minimum order is a case. 48 rolls. I use about a roll a year and I run 5-6 boats. 60 yards goes a long way. I **** near have a 50 year supply. Nah not really. I supply the guys in the NW with tape. I go through a case in a year and a half or so. Not cheap, but it is the best and goes a long way.

Mike

PS Not any 3M dealer can get it. I am electrician and tried to get it through my wholesaler. No luck. There is a special 3m tier dealership. If you not on it, no way your going get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Hughes said:
RonThey don't know what they are getting into. 3M minimum order is a case. 48 rolls. I use about a roll a year and I run 5-6 boats. 60 yards goes a long way. I **** near have a 50 year supply. Nah not really. I supply the guys in the NW with tape. I go through a case in a year and a half or so.  Not cheap, but it is the best and goes a long way.

Mike

87820[/snapback]

It won't take long to spread 48 rolls throughout an entire club. Just like a fuel or glow plug group buy, I use about 2 rolls a year. :)

And BTW- 3M Style: 5 Type: Electrical tape Description: Clear Polyester Film Tape with Oil-Compatibility, Acrylic Adhesive doesn't come up on 3M's website either. :blink:

I have used the 3M number 555 tape for some time now and I get it from Essex roup, Inc. out of fort wayne, Indianaphone # 1-800-805-4636 They do have a mim. order but 6 rolls is enough to get you over it . I ordered Tape 3M 5 Poly film, Clear .750 X 72 yds. I think the last time I ordered it it was 9.40 per roll. I just get with the guys I race with and order enough to go around.. Scott

Hey Guys-

Here's the lowdown on the 3M tape. The part # is 05, but you can't order it from 3M. That tape is a proprietary product that they make for a particular end-user, who is then selling it through their various distribution chains.

How do I know that...and am I full of shiest?

I'm in the electrical construction business, and I talk to 3M fairly often, so I took it upon myself to ask them.

I don't know if my contact is telling the truth, however. 3M is a monstrous corporate whore. They're part of multi-national conglomerate of huge companies.

If it doesn't stick, Dupont made it, and if it does, 3M made it...words to live by.

JOB

jasonspeedy said:
Hey Guys-
Here's the lowdown on the 3M tape.  The part # is 05, but you can't order it from 3M.  That tape is a proprietary product that they make for a particular end-user, who is then selling it through their various distribution chains.

How do I know that...and am I full of shiest? 

I'm in the electrical construction business, and I talk to 3M fairly often, so I took it upon myself to ask them. 

I don't know if my contact is telling the truth, however.  3M is a monstrous corporate whore.  They're part of multi-national conglomerate of huge companies.

If it doesn't stick, Dupont made it, and if it does, 3M made it...words to live by.

JOB

87858[/snapback]

The trick is ...     it isnt electrical tape    this tape is used for Electronics manufacture You will need to talk to the right folks

Yes the tape is 3M number 5. It is used in electric motor repair. It is a very special tape, it is good for 10,000 volts at one mil thickness. It is sold thru venders that supplies electric motor repair shops. If I had to guess the one that started using the tape was Fred McBroom. He has been running boats a long time and was in the same business that I am in. His son has the business now in Indy. The price is what it is any where from $8.00 to $12.00 depending on who you buy it from. I did sell some rolls at the Internats last year for $8.00 per roll. I had about 20 rolls and we sold them in 15 min. after they were anounce. It was so funny thet before I could get off the drivers stand "Doc" was cover up with racers wanted to buy tape.

Mark Bullard

Try using a piece of "high-speed" vinal ( the stuff used for automotive decals), cut it out in the size and shape of the radio box cover. The stuff has a medium tack adhesive that won't leave a residue or pull your paint off, very water resistant & has no seams from over-lapping pieces of tape. it can be pricie, but I'm convinced it's the best way to go.

chunk t

RaceCraftBearings said:
I know the number to the 3M tape,,,,,,,,,,Would anyone care to purchase my secret  :D ?

Ron

87742[/snapback]

Trade you some Beano for it

AFIRacing said:
RaceCraftBearings said:
I know the number to the 3M tape,,,,,,,,,,Would anyone care to purchase my secret  :D ?

Ron

87742[/snapback]

Trade you some Beano for it

88006[/snapback]

My wife said "Make that deal" :blink: :huh: :ph34r:

Back