Radar Guns?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Jr.

Im looking to get a radar gun for boats but dont want to spend 500 bucks on a laser pro or anything. Do those cheap $90 Bushnell ones work well? Anyone try somethin similar? Where could I get somethin cheap that is accurate? Thanks, Larry

We tried a Quicksilver radar gun a few years back to clock boats. It was one of those eBay specials for around $90.00 . It would clock traffic fine but it had problems hitting small boats with it. It was supposed to be able to clock a baseball but we had our doubts but didn't try it.

We had some Conservation Officer's show up at the lake one day and their gun had trouble also trying to get speeds on them. Higher profile boats like OB tunnels are easier to hit than say a .21 'rigger. They seem to work better when the boat is coming at you or going away.

Don't waste your money on one of these cheap radar guns, if you do get a reading it will be way off if you are trying to compare it to someone else's readings from a better gun. Some of the guys have played with GPS units with some good luck, but I don't really know the details.

You can always use the old standby...if you are out in front and the first one to cross the finish line, then it must be fast enough.

I use a prospeed but they are close to $700, but a very nice radar gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry,

Radar guns come in a whole lot of different packages,but I still have my

Stalker Pro working very well after 8 or more years of testing.

I think you get what you pay for. :D

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

Larry,

I use a Stalker Pro with key pad & digital readout. Very accurate & works very well when the boat is comming towards the gun. Strange readings sometimes when the gun is looking at the propeller end. Also, an expensive unit if purchased new ($1200.00). My wife sits at the end of the lake with a CB & gives readings after test runs.

Jim:) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back